Laboratory Technician V- Bacteriology
The contractor shall provide laboratory support with laboratory experiments in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status, IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations. The contractor shall aid in the execution of scientific studies and plaque assays, PCR and other assays, animal procedures, collection/data analyzing, and maintain laboratory and laboratory equipment
- Contractor shall assist Principal Investigator in Molecular Microbiological Experiments aimed at defining elements and factors involved in Bacillus anthracis virulence.
- Contractor shall complete Opsonic Adherence assays to test the efficacy of animal sera (Rabbit and NHP) in the presence of Baby Rabbit Complement to adhere Ames bacilli and spores to RAW 264.7 macrophage cells.
- Contractor shall assist 20 Junior Scientists in lab by preparing Reagents / Media (including R Medium, DMEM/FBS, LB Broth, Sodium Bicarbonate, APS LB Agar, BHI, etc)
- Contractor shall plate APS LB plates for use for Ames sporulation isolation and purification
- FITC label and count approximately 10 Ames samples to check ratio of Bacilli : Spores over multiple time points
- Contractor shall order lab supplies for BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories including common supplies, custom orders, and equipment
- Present overview of data collected from Opsonic Adherence and ELISA at group meeting; present progress reports to supervising investigator. Use computer to prepare graphs and write reports for supervising investigator.
- Contractor shall process bacterial spore harvests and purifications;
- Contractor shall perform Immunological, antibody determinations.
- Contractor shall perform ELISAs on mouse, nonhuman primate, and human serum.
- Contractor shall perform Cytokine analysis in mouse, nonhuman primate, human serum, cell cultures and cell extracts.
- Contractor shall perform Flow Cytometry tasks, determining cellular distribution in mouse samples and intracellular cytokine expression using a BD FACS Calibur and BD FACS Canto II to analyze cellular distribution.
- Contractor shall perform Cell Biology/Biochemical/microbiological tasks. Performs laboratory tests, such as protein gel electrophoresis, western blot analysis, growth of macrophage cell lines, prepares microbiological media for bacterial cultures
- Contractor shall organize and maintain data generated from immunological and microbiological studies.
- Contractor shall be responsible for managing hand receipt items and maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Contractor shall complete spore germination assays; spore secondary decontamination assays; and spore removal assays
- Contractor shall perform animal challenges and bacterial challenge preparations
- Contractor shall perform animal injections and animal observations
- Contractor shall complete bacterial burdens in organ tissue, Luminex Cytokine Analyses, Macrophage phagocytosis assays, Animal Necropsies, DNA chromosomal preparations, PCR reactions; and Agar gel analysis.
- Contractor shall prepare cloning plasmids, sequencing reactions, and plasmid preparations
- Contractor shall review relevant literature monthly
- Contractor shall serve as assistant suite supervisor, weekly
- Contractor shall assist Principal Investigator with Project Planning, quarterly.
- Contractor shall participate in training new personnel on laboratory tasks, monthly.
- Contractor shall perform BSAT Inventory Management weekly
- Contractor shall conduct Equipment Inventory Management twice a year in BSL-2 and BSL-3
- Contractor shall perform monthly Laboratory Management to include safety functions and chemical inventory.
Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline. MS desired.
2-5 years of related experience in scientific research, analysis and/or engineering.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.