Senior Services Design Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16717.Network Architecture and Infrastructure
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: Less than 20%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 3 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for evolving the customer experience by establishing globalized connectivity without boundaries. By reaching beyond the satellite industry to leverage the broader communications landscape, our vision will define the performance and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
As a contributor, this position will perform services design requirement analysis, development of product-specific designs, lab testing and evaluation, prototype demonstration, and technical documentation across Network Engineering. You will provide technical expertise in a 24x7 environment that designs network connectivity, in order to ensure the reliable performance of globally delivered customer solutions. You will drive best practice development by providing consistent design methodology and modeling for asset management, provisioning standards, fault management analysis, utilization and performance monitoring, and security requirements. In conjunction with design development, this role will interact with Intelsat upstream and downstream teams to define detailed Statement of Work (SOW) documentation. In collaboration with other senior SME's, this position will assist in the creation of a training environment for the Deployment and Operations teams. In addition, you will provide level 4 services support to the Operations team.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Ensure that all designs apply consistent methodology with best practices, in order to deliver stable and secure networks.
- Perform engineering calculation related to design that requires the application of standard engineering principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Identify emerging markets and trends, and provide solutions for integration approach.
- Provide SME (Subject Matter Expertise) support for service feasibility.
- Collaborate extensively with Deployment Engineers and the Development Engineering Team.
- Create detailed scope requirements for the Statement of Work (SOW) process, ensuring that final documentation is clear and accurate to ensure the greatest work efficiency.
- Collaborate with Project Managers to ensure the success of the design detailed in the SOW, including communication regarding technical scope, schedule, budget, and resource needs.
- Practice and enforce compliance with current operating standards, to best assess effectiveness and process alignment.
- Enhance training materials and deliver ongoing training to Operations team members.
- Must be able to communicate and present technical product design and feature details to customers (Helping the Sales Engineering team during Pre and Post sales as well as assessing the customer's technical requirements).
- Important Responsibilities
- Represent the department at all times, as a technical SME.
- Document and comply with recordkeeping procedure.
Required Skills And Knowledge
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree with at least three years of relevant experience in IP networks and/or Satellite Broadband services design in a Service Provider environment.
- Knowledge and experience understanding industry best practices on network engineering, product/service, system design and implementation strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership and ongoing operational support.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain procedures/processes required to ensure network optimization.
- Must have Mid-level knowledge of Satellite Broadband systems like iDirect, Gilat, Newtec Dialog or HNS Jupiter.
- Must have Mid-level knowledge of the Satellite Broadband hardware to include the detailed knowledge of system hub components and VSAT Terminals and VSAT Antennas.
- Must have knowledge of switching technologies including but not limited to; IGMP, 802.XX, Gigabit Ethernet, 10G Ethernet, Vlan/Trunking (802.1q And ISL), Etherchannel, Spanning Tree (STP), HSRP, VRRP.
- Knowledge of RF (C Band, Ku band), IF, L-Band and RF systems and teleport technologies is highly desired.
- Knowledge of various Modulation and Coding schemes for DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-S2X is highly desired.
- Experience installing and configuration Cisco/Juniper routers and switches such as Cisco 3900, Cisco 2900, Cisco 4300 , Juniper EX4300, Juniper QFX 5100 along with associating line cards and technologies.
- Experience working in the Juniper Junos, Cisco IOS-XE and XR environments.
- Experience building, testing and installing cabling and connectors associated with IP and RF.
- Have knowledge of ancillary technologies used to support telecommunication network such as management and metric gathering tools (SNMP, Netflow), packet capturing tools, and automation tools.
- Scripting/coding skills are highly desirable.
- Strong documentation skills required for SOW's, RFP's, design and planning documents, etc.
- Must be able and willing to travel domestically and internationally.
- Must be able and willing to perform physical support activities (e.g. cable tracing/running and racking, stacking, replacing and installing hardware) as requested.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) certification preferred but not required.
- Exposure to emerging technologies in Virtualization, SDN and NFV are a plus.
- Exposure to Cellular networking technologies like Evolved Packet Core (EPC) and 3GPP are a plus.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.