Sr. Principal Systems Development Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16721.Planning and Development Engineering
Travel %: Less than 20%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 7 years of experience required
Equivalency: Combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
From a Systems perspective, the Senior Principal Systems Development Engineer will evaluate and test new and evolutionary technologies across a variety of video, network, and radio frequency (RF) platforms, to be used and proposed for use in Intelsat managed services products. Collaborate with Development Engineering (DE) team members and Product Management to deliver new or improved technology platforms, ready for real world deployment by Network Engineering and Provisioning and final handover to Network Operations. Provide expert-level solutions that take into account appropriate redundancy, availability, scalability, security, and manageability requirements needed for the successful launch of new products and services or enhancement to existing product and services. The focus of this position will be primarily on developing new solutions for Intelsat's Mobility and EpicNG environments that are based on current and future versions of the iDirect Velocity/Pulse platform.
- Work with Product Management and DE team members to translate market driven capability requirements into technical requirements, writing and documenting network technical requirements for new products and major product upgrades.
- Conduct research and industry surveys to identify technologies that meet proposed new product requirements.
- Develop, publish and execute detailed test plans for new hardware or software to be incorporated in the iDirect Velocity platform. Test plans should encompass not only unit tests but also system level testing where appropriate (taking into account redundancy, availability, scalability, manageability, and integration into existing Intelsat owned or leased facilities/systems).
- Identify integration interfaces for element managers and software associated with new technology hardware being tested. Integration interfaces are expected to work with existing operational systems such as teleport, network and video systems M&C, inventory management, etc. Ensure that appropriate support is obtained from the IT department
- Manage vendor performance with regard to new/upgraded technology hardware/software, establishing structured feedback mechanisms for dealing with bugs/feature set deficiencies uncovered during testing.
- Prepare trade-off studies that evaluate cost vs. feature sets vs. scalability.
- Prepare training curricula either internally or with vendor assistance and execute appropriate technical training for new technologies slated for new product roll out for CSE, NETENG, and NETOPS.
- Develop and establish guidelines and operational procedures in conjunction with and for various Intelsat Operations Departments when new technologies are introduced.
- Work closely with other internal groups to ensure first deployment goes smoothly for new product rollouts (and key product updates) and be prepared to support field deployment if required.
- Provide appropriate technical performance information for requested hardware/systems to support complex loading simulations, working with capacity management and satellite engineering.
- Manage different stages of product testing rollout for different products simultaneously, completing assigned new product roll out subtasks on time to meet new product revenue targets.
- Contribute to customer proposals when new technology is being considered.
- Prepare presentations and brief interested parties on topics such as testing results, new capabilities, feature set limitations and roll out plans.
- Develop and maintain project plans and schedules to support completion of new technology testing consistent with schedule required for new or improved product rollout.
- Manage testing and evaluation plans to budget.
- Communicate and coordinate all aspects of technology testing and evaluation progress to responsible Product Manager, Program Manager and others as appropriate.
Required Skills And Knowledge
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a similar discipline (or an equivalent combination of education and work experience) with at least seven years of hands on experience; ten or more years of experience strongly preferred.
- Must have extensive knowledge of the iDirect TDMA VSAT platform, to include: hands-on experience designing, configuring and deploying live networks; configuration and optimization of Group QoS parameters for various traffic profiles; knowledge and experience with Mobility networks and automatic beam-switching. Experience with iDirect Velocity and Pulse highly desirable.
- Must have knowledge and expeirence with TCP/IP technologies, including IPv4 and IPv6 addressing/subnetting, IP unicast routing and IP Multicast routing and associated technologies.
- Must have extensive knowledge of the functionality of TCP, UDP and application layer protocols and working knowledge of the major routing protocols.
- Must have working knowledge of LAN switching, including but not limited to: IGMP, 802.XX, Gigabit Ethernet, and VLAN/Trunking (802.1q And ISL).
- Experience in testing, evaluating and selecting network hardware and software vendors required.
- Must have extensive knowledge and experience in RF communications, including:
- Must have knowledge and experience with industry best practices as applied to network architecture design and engineering and experience with robust network, product/service system design and implementation strategies.
- Must be capable of designing and testing platform-based systems utilizing technologies from vendors including iDirect, Comtech, Newtech, Hughes and others.
- Must have very strong analytical skills, including the ability to develop and manipulate spreadsheets, analyze empirical test results and compare to vendor published performance specifications; must understand how technical performance results must be adapted to operational guidelines.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally (estimated to be about 20% of time).
- Excellent leadership and communication skills required in order to interface with various levels of employees, from mentoring those with less experience to providing recommendations to management for higher level decision making.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) preferred.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.