Senior Manager – Communications and Advocacy
Key results expected:
- Increased visibility and understanding of the impact of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance’s work and policy needs amongst appropriate North American stakeholders, including media, Alliance partners, academics, think tanks, as well as civil society organizations as appropriate.
- Media engagement – develop and execute a North American media strategy in collaboration with the US Strategy Team and other donor managers within the Resource Mobilization and Private Sector team with responsibilities to other North American markets , including building and maintaining productive relationships with key media, sourcing and pitching proactive stories, handling reactive media requires and interview requests, and providing full support for media events and major corporate announcements;
- Strategic engagement with the Media and Communications staff of advocacy partners based in North American markets to amplify the work of the Alliance and its innovative model.
- Develop and maintain working level relationships with key stakeholders in multilateral bodies based in the US, including monitoring international health and development policy trends, including representation as required.
- Content creation 1– work with colleagues in Geneva to generate compelling content that can be used across all channels and platforms to highlight Gavi and partners’ impact;
- Content creation 2 – provide policy analysis, advice, briefs, and strategic advocacy plans to advance the issue of immunisation in global health and development;
- Internal collaboration – work with internal partners, including the Director, US Strategy, donor managers within the Resource Mobilization and Private Sector team with responsibilities of other North American markets, and Gavi’s innovative financing team, to provide communications support for cross-cutting activities;
- Reputation management – ensure that Gavi’s work is reflected accurately and fairly across all platforms. Provide advice and issues management support to senior colleagues as required;
- Message management - work with colleagues in Geneva and Washington DC to ensure that Gavi representatives are fully briefed for media and non-media engagements through tailoring of briefing packs and key messages.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not limited only to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, international relations, development, or a related field plus at least seven years of relevant experience. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in the above fields plus nine years of relevant experience will also be considered
- A minimum of seven years of increasing responsibility in communications, journalism, policy, advocacy or public relations;
- Experience working with journalists, diplomats or institutions, excellent media contacts and strong networking skills;
- Experience of working in or with diverse and complex organisations with multiple partners;
- Experience in managing consultants and PR companies;
- Knowledge of global health or development issues greatly preferred;
- Experience in working with government officials and CSO partners in donor and developing countries an asset;
- Knowledge of innovative financing mechanisms for development would be advantageous.
- Strong news and issues judgement;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills especially when dealing with complicated or time-sensitive subjects;
- Ability to build a strong base knowledge of the organisation and learn new topic areas quickly;
- Strong political awareness and cultural sensitivity;
- Ability to work independently to a high standard while collaborating closely with colleagues based at another location;
- Highly-developed negotiation and persuasion skills;
- Adept at working with traditional and digital media platforms;
- Good working knowledge of social media.
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- Fluency in French, German, or Spanish a plus.
- Gavi Secretariat colleagues and consultants in Geneva and Washington DC
- Donor government communications teams;
- Private sector partners communications teams;
- Civil Society Organisations communications teams;
- Alliance partners including UNICEF, the World Health Organization, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation at a global and country level.