Senior Principal Systems Engineer
The End Point Computing Engineer analyzes and engineers computer platform agnostic solutions for the Federal Department’s IT environment. Provides Tier III technical support to the IT environment and ensures seamless end-to-end integration of end user platforms and applications (including mobile devices).The End Point Computing Engineer maintains, monitors, and tunes End User Computing Platforms/Systems and applications for optimal performance. Analyzes workload and computer usage, maintains interfaces with enterprise production systems, analyzes downtimes, analyzes proposed system modifications, configures and implements upgrades and new COTS software/hardware. Coordinates closely with engineers/solution developers to ensure proper implementation of hardware/software/applications. Develops in conjunction with functional users, end user computing platform alternative solutions. Makes recommendations for improving end user computing capabilities.The End Point Computing Engineer must be able to engineer and develop a standard set of computer images for multiple platforms. Debugs source code and performance problems and/or provides debugging assistance to developers/solution engineers. Tests, installs, and migrates software, patches, upgrades, proxies, applications, and/or hardware.Leads software/application development and support using formal specifications, data flow diagrams, and other accepted design techniques. Reviews existing End User Computing Platforms, assists in making refinements, reduces operating time, and improves current techniques. Other duties include:
- Plans upgrades of operating systems and designs systems enhancements.
- Develops documentation on new or existing systems.
- Develops and conducts tests to ensure systems meet documented user requirements.
- Identifies, analyzes, and resolves system problems.
- Provides system/equipment/specialized training and technical guidance.
- Determines system specifications, input/output processes, and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced systems engineers and may have supervisory responsibility.
- May serve as a technical team or task lead.
- Serves as liaison with clients, participating in meetings to ensure client needs are met.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Networking, Information Systems, Engineering, or other related technical discipline.
- Certifications - A+ce, Server+, Microsoft Exchange, VMWare Vcenter
- 10 – 15 years of hands-on hardware/software configuration and troubleshooting experienceHands-on ground up design and implementation experience on a large scale Federal Agency VDI project supporting over 5,000 end-users.Expertise in configuration management processes and procedures, scripting, testing, and quality control for software/ hardware package development and deploymentsHands-on experience testing, installing, migrating software, patches, upgrades, proxies, applications, and/or hardware.Experience in Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) settings, requirements gathering/reviews, program risk analysis, testingSuccess conduction of functional and environmental testing in Windows with integration of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) products and custom-developed software using test automated tools.Extensive experience in local area network (LAN)/personal computer (PC) technologies and applications.Experience managing and monitoring multiple Windows domains, including patching using a combination of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Powershell scripts.Knowledge and experience managing Active Directory (AD) forest/domains and Microsoft Exchange environment for more than 4000 users.Knowledge of Systems Management Software products such as System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), HEAT, etc.Experience analyzing engineering solutions, isolating sources of problems, recommending reconfiguration and implementation of new solutions to increase performance.Experience developing and deploying core computer images.Experience developing documentation, including project plans, backup plans, business continuance, installation procedures, and troubleshooting guides/ SOPs.