This position is located in the Office of the Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). The incumbent of this position serves as a personal assistant, providing a variety of secretarial, clerical, and administrative assistance to the Commissioner and keeps a confidential relationship with the Commissioner and his advisory staff.
This position is excluded from the bargaining unit.
Please note - only your resume and cover letter will be forwarded to the selecting official.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement and the office for that selection may vary.
- Not Required
Candidates must have one full year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-08 level. Specialized Experience is defined as:
Specialized experience at the GS-8 level is defined as: Experience providing clerical support including skill in scheduling meetings and appointments, proofreading, knowledge of computer software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and/or Google), travel (international and domestic), reporting time and attendance (web-based), training, filing, presentation and conference coordination and tracking day-to-day activities to increase the efficiency of the office.
Selective Placement Factor: For this position you must be able to type 40 words per minute. YOU MUST DOCUMENT YOUR TYPING SPEED ON YOUR RESUME or attach a certificate of proficiency dated within the past 3 years. Failure to provide this information WILL result in your being deemed ineligible.
The following is a link to the full qualification standards as prescribed by OPM: Secretary
Your resume must clearly document how you meet the specialized experience in order to meet the minimum qualification requirements for this vacancy. Transcripts must be submitted at time of application. All required documents must be received by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not submit a required document (e.g. transcripts, etc.) your application will be considered incomplete and you will not receive further consideration.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: If selected for this position, you will be required to: - Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment. - Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Fund Transfer. - Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Provides administrative and clerical support to the Commissioner and executive staff, which includes but is not limited to: reporting time and attendance, making travel arrangements, validating availability of funds and processing training requests and registration forms, preparing requisitions, scheduling meetings and reserving conference rooms, typing correspondence and other administrative documents as required, and maintaining FERC Reports/Statutes and Regulations.
- Arranges for meetings and conferences with outside parties. Locates and coordinates space and logistical support including computer and telephone hook-ups, coordinates schedules and agendas, gathers and assembles documents and other materials, attends conferences and records notes, and briefs participants on topic/activities of meeting.
- Produces a variety of written documents using a personal computer with several types of office automation software. Ensures documents are in the proper format, and that spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar have been verified.
- The secretary will regularly be required to exercise sound judgment, use time and task management techniques, and report and otherwise communicate effectively on his or her activities.
- Receives incoming telephone calls and determines the identity of the caller and nature of the call. Places calls at the Commissioner’s request and initiates calls in his/her name to solicit or impart information. Arranges for backup telephone coverage for the Commissioner’s Office in the event of unavailability or absence.