Social Worker

Washington D.C.
Aug 11, 2017
Aug 25, 2017
Full Time

About the Agency

This position is located at the Armed Forces Retirement Home - Washington (AFRH-W), Healthcare Services. The AFRH is an independent federal agency which most closely resembles a private sector continuing care retirement community with a geriatric resident population of distinguished Veterans who have served their country. AFRH’S work is performed in an environment that nurtures the health and wellness philosophy of aging, and provides a continuum of residential life care services in a community setting for the nation's veterans.

  • Not Required

  • No

  • Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
  • Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
  • You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.

    Selective Factor:

    Licensing: You must possess a state issued Social Worker's license AND you must possess a Social Worker's license to practice as an independent licensed practitioner.

    Specialized experience: For the GS-11, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:

    -Working with a geriatric population where the incumbent was responsible for providing admission preparation, assessment, counseling, day-to-day assistance initiation and revision of care plans and integrate services to effectively coordinate resident/patient care.


    You may substitute education for general or specialized experience as follows:

    -3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree


    You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.

    Education Requirements:

    Degree: Social Work. Must fulfill all of the requirements for the master's degree in social work in a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education

    The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

    The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.

    Public Trust - Background Investigation


    As a Social worker, you will:

    • Work independently to examine current standards of care, compliance with those standards, and development of new standards as necessary to meet the changing needs of the residents and agency. Develop and revise policy and procedure manuals.
    • Work collaboratively with department heads to review patient care activities with individual clinicians to ensure knowledge and compliance with standards.
    • Promote and ensure that the coordination of care with residents returning to Assisted Living or Independent Living is a smooth transition with increased communication between departments, directorates, and individual clinicians. Also ensure the coordination of care with residents transitioning from Independent Living and the Upper levels of care. Work interdepartmentally to promote continuity of care as changes occur with AFRH-W internal systems.
    • Maintain active involvement in reviewing and auditing resident care plans and service delivery with clinicians. Carry full professional responsibility with particularly complex cases, projects, and issues.

    Similar jobs