Senior Principal Innovation Engineer
Join an innovative team responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat General (IGC) New Technologies and Services (NTS) team, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation.
The Charter of the NTS team is to develop innovative new products, and services for IGC. As a strategic leader of that team, you will play a key role in identifying, developing, and integrating innovative products and new service models into IGC's existing business to achieve Intelsat's 2020 vision. This role will provide high- level engineering support, design efforts, strategic evaluation of technical options and will lead cross-functional teams towards a final solution, while collaborating with all of the key stakeholders. This position requires a customer oriented perspective, with the agility and insight to evaluate multiple technical solutions options in order to provide cutting-edge service and further the development of IGC products, services and business models.
Primary support will be to IGC's early adopter customer communities, NTS Program Management Office (PMO), and to NTS' New Solutions and Services (NSS) team. The NSS team is responsible for creating, defining, and rolling out IGC's new products, services and communications architectures. To support that goal, this role will help leverage innovation and technology advances in space and ground architectures. The successful Senior Principal Innovation Engineer will have solid knowledge in iDirect based systems, electronically steerable antenna design and development, small terminal design and development, satellite communication architectures and implementation, and the ability to conduct modeling and simulation design.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Provide expert technical advice to Senior Management and the NTS team on cutting edge technologies in satellite communications such as ultra-small terminals, electronically steerable arrays, iDirect Velocity based managed services and innovative technology advances in space and ground architectures.
- Develop and implement technical solutions for customer requirements including, transition of customer ground terminals to Intelsat One Flex ground terminal design of the ground network infrastructure, support of customer airborne requirements, design of satellite link parameters and associated facilities, support of the service/network implementation, prepare network equipment design and documentation, support various demos and testing.
- Provide implementation support of other projects associated with the IGC early adopter customer, including monitoring, integration, installation and testing of equipment as contracted by the customer, resolve technical issues associated with existing and new services.
- Develop applicable Intelsat's EPICNG solutions for IGC customers.
- Develop end-to-end network solutions, including the design of aircraft-to-ground network infrastructure, satellite link parameters and RF subsystems with a focus on customer requirements and IGC business drivers.
- Design innovative, creative, and strategic aero-based satellite communications subsystems, detailing the equipment and materials requirements needed for accurate Statement of Work (SOW) documents.
- Lead technical design reviews that evaluate the integration of ground and aircraft satellite equipment into operational systems.
- Provide expert technical guidance during the implementation of projects associated with aero solutions including monitoring, integration, installation of equipment, systems testing and resolving technical issues associated with services.
- Support demos that test new aero-based communications equipment/platform/airborne antennas and assess their feasibility for use in customer solutions.
- Conduct market research and competitive intelligence studies, including business case development.
- Present technical materials to IGC customers with a focus on aero applications.
- Assist the NTS NSS team with architecting new solutions and services, preparing technical responses, presentations, and proposals.
- Lead the design, integration, testing, and implementation of airborne satellite terminals and network in support of the IGC aero network services initiative.
- Provide technical consultation services in response to customer inquiries and request for engineering tasks.
- Support other internal groups (i.e., Solutions Development Team, Sales, Business Development, Marketing, etc.)
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering required.
- At least twelve (12) years of experience in satellite communications required.
- Strong analytical skills with experience in the analytical modeling of digital and RF satellite communication links including channel coding & modulation techniques.
- Expertise in the overall aspects of satellite communication systems, communication satellite payloads, propagation effects, physical layer transmission techniques, modem and codec.
- Experience in MATLAB simulation and modeling of satellite communication systems.
- Good understanding of satellite services and applications.
- The desire and ability to work in a demanding yet collaborative environment is essential.
- Self-directed with a strong sense of ownership, with the willingness to go above and beyond to resolve challenges and drive for success.
- Strong project management skills (attention to detail, time management, multitasking, time critical decision making).
- Expert knowledge of the key technical aspects of conducting link budget analysis, and end-to-end Aero network analysis and design using terrestrial and satellite segments, Cisco and Juniper router setup, assembly and test of RFT and satellite antennas, troubleshooting satellite and terrestrial segments, satellite services including: transmission analysis, transmission impairments and mitigation strategies, earth station equipment, digital modulation techniques, iDirect equipment and the software used to support transmission analysis.
- Presentation, Negotiation, Problem Solving and Customer Focus skills to ensure our customer's service experience and technical support meet or exceed their expectations
- This position requires United States Citizenship. Applicants without US Citizenship will not be considered for this role.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Government security clearance at or above the Secret level.
- Enterprise leadership
- Change Agility
- Customer Focus
- Collaboration Champion
Key productivity and specific duties assigned to this role:
- Support for Intelsat and IGC Flex development
- Support IGC Flex troubleshooting, when required
- Support NTS PMO with customer interactions, brainstorming, implementation, and Flex troubleshooting
- Develop and implement solutions for IGC early adopter
- Collaborate on technical solutions
- Collaborate on new IGC solutions and services
- Collaborate on sales opportunities
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.