Communications and Media Relations Associate
The Economic Club of Washington, D.C.
Communications and Media Relations Associate
About the Economic Club
The Economic Club of Washington, D.C. is a non-profit membership organization that provides an important speaking forum for prominent business and government leaders, therefore promoting global awareness of the pivotal role that Washington plays in national and world economies. The Economic Club is comprised of over 700 business leaders, mainly from the Washington metropolitan region. Read more at www.EconomicClub.org
The Economic Club is seeking a full-time Communications and Media Relations Associate who will report directly to the Manager, Executive Office & Marketing and will support all marketing and public relations outreach efforts of the organization.
The ideal candidate is a recent college graduate with creative public relations or communications experience, eager to assume substantial responsibility and work with a very high profile organization and its members. Good writing skills and experience serving as a point of contact and outreach to the media are required. If you are also well organized, confident and an excellent communicator, this may be the job for you. Anticipated start date will be in September 2017.
Work will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Develop and implement social media strategies aimed at increasing awareness about the Economic Club
- Write and post videos, blogs, tweets, updates and pictures on the website, and other social media venues
- Assist with keeping the website and other online platforms up-to-date
- Monitor trends and suggest new ideas for website or social media
- Manage writing, production and distribution of monthly newsletter
- Draft basic public relations materials including news releases, media alerts, fact sheets, flyers, brochures and other materials as needed
- Compose press releases or other promotional materials to increase awareness of the Economic Club among target audiences, including potential speakers and members
- Develop and maintain media contact lists
- Manage media outreach to encourage coverage of Economic Club activities & programs
- Develop strong relationships and maximize opportunities with media.
- Track media coverage around Economic Club activities & programs
- Assist with production of videos that promote the Club’s programs and initiatives
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and venues for marketing and communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a creative edge
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Knowledge of social media – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, blogs, etc., and firm grasp of available evaluation tools and platforms in the social media space
- Ability to identify a target market and “speak” to that consumer through social media
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with media, community contacts and members
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail oriented and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize and focus on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Flexibility and ability to work independently
- Motivated to work efficiently as a member of a smooth functioning team
- Evidence of a high degree of ethical behavior, ensuring an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Enthusiasm and interest in the Economic Club’s mission
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of the Club’s goals and mission
- Energy, with a desire to come up with fresh ideas on how to grow our online presence
- Basic photography, graphic design, videography, and photo/video editing skills
- Computer savvy with proficiency of Microsoft Office required
- Flexible schedule: early morning and evening hours may be required around events
Education and Experience
- BS or BA in public relations, communications or relevant field
- Marketing and/or media relations and communications: 2 years
- Experience as a PR assistant and working with reporters, editors, broadcast media producers, and online news outlets
- Annual salary is in the $40,000 - $45,000 range, based upon experience and qualifications
- Full benefits package includes health insurance, pension, and a monthly transit subsidy
- Growth and professional advancement opportunities
How to Apply
- Please send resume, writing sample, and cover letter indicating relevant experience and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For immediate consideration, please indicate your availability for a phone interview
- In the subject line of your email please indicate “Economic Club 2017 – Communications”.