Network Systems Engineer
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The National Foreign Language Center is part of the University of Maryland at College Park and is dedicated to promoting a language-competent society by developing and disseminating information that informs policy makers. The mission of the NFLC is to improve the capacity of the U.S. to communicate in languages other than English. We implement that mission through intensive and innovative strategic planning and development with globalized institutions, organizations, and enterprises throughout the United States.
The NFLC is looking to hire a full-time Systems Engineer for a 12 month contract, with potential for long term or permanent placement. The System Engineer will primarily focus on administering, maintaining, and upgrading a multi-site environment including the NFLC’s Microsoft Servers and VMware Virtualized architecture. The incumbent will also provide tier 2 and 3 support to level 1 engineers for various issue related to server administration and virtualization. This is a hands-on position requiring independence, tact, accountability, and excellent decision making and technical delivery skills. Success in this position requires extensive technical knowledge, the ability to work independently as well as part of a highly qualified team, and exceptional communications and collaborative skills.
- Hands on in-depth experience administering, supporting, securing, and maintaining a multi-site Microsoft server infrastructure.
- Proven experience with Microsoft Office 365 Migration and support
- Proven experience installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and upgrading Microsoft Windows systems including Active Directory, SQL servers, IIS servers, and File and Print servers.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of complex systems
- Strong organization skills to prioritize work, balance and lead complex projects.
- Ability to respond effectively and timely to staff needs.
- Ability to communicate with internal users at all levels.
- Excellent written and Verbal communication skills
-Bachelor’s Degree preferred or 5+ years equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
-3+ years of experience with Office 365
-Experience with Windows Server 2008 and 2012 installation, deployment, performance tuning, and enterprise scalability.
-3+ years of experience implementing and supporting Active Directory group policy, DHCP, and DNS in Server 2008/2012 Environments
-Experience supporting databases on Microsoft SQL server.
- Experience supporting Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Exchange.
-Experience with Juniper firewall and Cisco appliances
-Experience with Storage SAN’s preferably Netapp and Dell Compellent
-Experience in Office 365, AWS or other Cloud technologies
-Experience supporting Linux systems
-Vmware and Microsoft Certification
The initial length of contract for this appointment is 1 year, with a potential for contract renewal.
Normal working hours are Monday through Friday business hours. However, this position also requires participation in on-call rotation and evening and weekend maintenance work.