Health Science Administrator, GS-601-14
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Office of Orphan Products Development (OOPD), Office of Special Medical Programs (OSMP), Office of Medical Products and Tobacco (OMPT), Office of the Commissioner (OC), located in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area.
- Occasional Travel
- Minimal 5% Travel Required
Basic Qualification Requirements for GS-0601, Health Science Administrator:
Completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirement you must also meet the following:
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service, to include providing consultation on health science application and/or manufacturing review process; and/or coordinating health science-related inspections, investigations, projects or programs.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on
Conditions of Employment:
Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required:No
- Drug testing required:No
- License required:No
- Mobility agreement required:No
- Immunization required:No
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- Financial disclosure statement required: No
Major Duties Include:
Acts as a national technical authority on all aspects of grant/agreement assistance issues with special provisions including audit and dispute resolution.
Performs scientific and administrative reviews and analyses of applications and proposals from a programmatic viewpoint.
Serves as a liaison providing expert information and consultation to others such as industry representatives, consultants and clinical investigators on scientific, statistical, and regulatory aspects of the application or review process.
- Serves as an official liaison and collaborates on a national level with scientists and government officials on a wide range of regulatory issues.
- Participates in the initial evaluation of new grant applications to ensure applications are responsive to the published orphan product grants criteria.
- Plans and coordinates health science-related inspections, investigations, projects, or programs in areas where there are few or inadequate guidelines so new approaches and methodologies are needed.