Physical Scientist ZP-1301-05 (DE/CR)
5 days left
- Full Time
This position is located within National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR), Office of Weather and Air Quality (OWAQ), Silver Spring, MD.
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band.
The ZP-05 is equivalent to the GS-15.
The full promotion potential level for this position is ZP-05.
This position is also announced under vacancy number OAR-OWAQ-2017-0003, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary/trial period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist ZP-1301-05 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
- Not Required
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position has a positive Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable) in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:
- Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
2. Combination of education and experience: -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in 1 above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
This experience need not have been in the federal government. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZP-05:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZP-04 or GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Developing a modeling research portfolio focused on improving weather and/or climate predictions.
- Providing guidance to office staff on human and financial resource utilization, administrative management, infrastructure, and human capital issues to support and advance OWAQ’s mission.
- Presenting ideas and innovative solutions for all OAR research programs, taking into account input and opinions from key stakeholders.
- Planning, implementation, direction, and evaluation of programs with substantial independence, subject only to policy dictated by the Director.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The individual selected for this position will:
- Serve as the deputy director of the OAR Office of Weather and Air Quality (OWAQ).
- Serve on National and International Committees related to the geosciences.
- Lead the development and evolution of OWAQ’s strategic plan, and its annual operating plan, preparation of position papers, and program implementation plans.
- Coordinate office activities, including research management, and work to ensure all OWAQ portfolio managers function seamlessly.
- Provide advice on scientific policies within the organization and those outside the organization that will impact the office, including Congressional bills related to weather that have been provided to NOAA for comment.