Computer Scientist (Software Engineer Lead) - DE
Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®!
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the principal advisor to the Under Secretary and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) on the application of information technology (IT) to support and improve the Agency’s business processes. The Office of Application Engineering and Development (OAED) is responsible for the full life-cycle management of the USPTO’s automated information systems.
This position is also being announced under the USPTO’s Merit Promotion Program, the Job Announcement Number is CIO-2017-0198. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the Merit Promotion Program.
- A probationary period may be required.
- Not Required
You must meet the following United States Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) qualification requirements for the advertised position. OPM's prescribed Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Computer Scientist Series 1550can be found at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1500/computer-science-series-1550/.You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the job announcement.
Specialized Experience: is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Candidates for the GS-14 grade level must have at least 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower GS-13 grade level in the Federal service.
Skill Set 1 - Experience designing and implementing Web Applications (e.g. RESTFul and SOAP based Web Services AND Web Frameworks (e.g. Spring MVC, Struts, My Faces, Restlet, etc.);
Skill Set 2 - Experience as a technical lead designing and implementing Java and J2EE Web Applications;
Skill Set 3 – Experience developing software for multiple platforms, modifying existing programs and maintaining programs that may present problems.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website - US Department of Education. Another listing of services that an perform this evaluation is available at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
NOTE: Only education and experience acquired before the filing deadline will be considered. Report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Coordinates and provides technical software/hardware program guidance and direct technical support to the employees engaged in development of system and subsystems to ensure system integrity and compatibility with other support activities. S/he applies broad knowledge of current electronics/software engineering technology; and resolves discrepancies or recommends and or implements remedial action to assure coordination of technical objectives and consistency in attainment of common objectives.
- Determines adequacy of software, computer, and product/system design and capabilities; and writes diagnostic programs and designing and writing code for operating systems and software to ensure efficiency.
- Plans, organizes, and directs extensive application development efforts for teams engaged in broad programs of applied software research and development. Assignments typically involve the entire lifecycle with emphasis on the requirements and development process and may include research, production and operational effort or involve broad and complex programs that advance the state-of-the-art development.
- The incumbent stays abreast of emerging developments in software engineering, system design, and simulations with particular emphasis on areas relevant to assigned responsibilities; studies current technical literature, attends professional symposia, and maintains professional correspondence; and performs other related duties as assigned.