Meter Reader I
Function: Under close supervision of the Supervisor, Meter Reading assists other Meter Readers to accurately and efficiently read customer water meters and record and calculate customer water usage. Performs other customer service departmental duties as required. Performs essential work as required during emergencies or periods of severe and inclement weather.
Assists other Meter Readers or while working alone to accurately and efficiently read customer water meters and record and calculate water usage by:
- Driving an Authority vehicle or providing directions utilizing a map to locate various water meters to be read.
- Reading retail and wholesale meters on a scheduled basis utilizing various tools and equipment to access and read the meters located in meter boxes and vaults.
- Registering meter readings and related customer and meter information in a hand held meter reading device, or in a manual meter book system.
- Identifying and reporting to a supervisor or the radio dispatcher, or correcting unusual conditions such as: damaged meters, meter lids, possible reasons for high or low consumption, improper fire hydrant usage, etc.
Performs other Customer Service departmental duties as required:
- Performing meter changes, and other routine service order work.
- Maintaining Authority vehicles, equipment and tools to assure they are in safe working condition.
Performs essential work as required during emergencies or periods of severe and inclement weather.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school and a minimum of one year work experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Basic knowledge of computers.
- Good verbal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with co-workers and to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.