Live Voice Writer
The National Captioning Institute
Live Voice Writer
Wed-Thus, Sat-Sun 5;00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Thus-Mon 4:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Fri-Tues 5:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Tue-Sat 5:30 p.m.-2:00 a.m.
Sun-Thurs 6:30 p.m.-3:00 a.m.
Sun-Thurs 4:30 p.m-1:00 a.m
YOU: sitting on your couch on the internet, cringing when you see bad grammar and spelling, wondering if the editors who let that slip past them get paid more than you do. Perhaps you're wondering if that English or Communications or Liberal Arts degree was worth the money because you're still working in a job that has nothing to do with what you studied. Perhaps you're an actor or performer who'd like to work 40 hours and get a livable wage with benefits and great health insurance, at a job that either leaves your evenings free or starts late and matches your night-owl tendencies. Maybe you're an introvert who works better independently and can't deal with one more day in retail.
OUR COMPANY: NCI is a mission-oriented nonprofit that has been around for nearly 40 years. We set the standard for excellence in the closed captioning industry, and we continue to spearhead changes that will improve the viewer experience for consumers of closed captioning.
WHO WE ARE: Captioners come from a wide variety of backgrounds. The main things we have in common are that we speak English with a native proficiency, type quickly, and have a knack for grammar, spelling, and punctuation; and we believe that televised and web-based news, sports, information, and entertainment play an important part in how our society functions, and thus, should be accessible to everyone. Many of us work from home and the rest of us work out of office locations in Chantilly, VA and Santa Clarita, California. We use voice recognition technology to create broadcast-quality closed captioning for a variety of media outlets. And we have the coolest job you've never heard of.
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU: We will pay for your training as a live voice writer, as our in-house training program is set up to meet our exacting standards, and we want you to make a living while you learn how to meet these standards. You will start out earning $30,000 per year with benefits; once you go through training and pass a series of accuracy tests, your yearly salary will be $35,000 per year. From there, we give raises to captioners who meet higher standards and are able to caption more challenging programs. We promote management from within the company, and as we expand, we seek out smart, motivated captioners to move into administrative positions. So if you love language and television and you are punctual and can punctuate, we invite you to learn more about the employment opportunities at NCI.
- An undergraduate degree, such as in (but not limited to) Communications, English, or another liberal arts discipline OR Associate’s degree plus one year of related experience OR completion of training program in court reporting or captioning OR high school diploma plus three years of related work experience
- An interest in providing media access to millions of closed captioning users
- The ability to read, write, and speak English with a native proficiency
- A clear speaking voice and excellent enunciation skills
- The ability to make quick judgments and work under deadlines
- Proficiency in PC-based computer applications, with strong multitasking and troubleshooting proficiency and the ability to follow written directions
- Quick and accurate research abilities
- The readiness to work independently, with limited supervision
- The willingness and ability to work overtime, holidays, or as needed according to broadcast schedules
The National Captioning Institute offers:
- A friendly, casual work environment
- A structured paid training program
- Paid Leave/Vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- The opportunity to provide a valuable service
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program through the U.S. Department of Education
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30,000.00 to $35,000.00 /year
Apply for Live Voice Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly