Congressional and Public Affairs Officer
(Please note that Amtrak OIG is not a federal agency; this is not federal government positions. Pay Plan/Series/Grade information is provide as a point of reference only)
Join with the Inspector General to help make America's railroad operate more efficiently and effectively. We are seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference. By conducting or supporting independent, objective audits and investigations of the programs and operations of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation (Amtrak), you could directly contribute to our mission of providing independent, objective oversight of Amtrak's programs and operations; preventing and detecting fraud, waste, and abuse; and providing Congress, Amtrak management, and Amtrak's Board of Directors with timely analysis about Amtrak's programs and operations. Join us as we continue to build a model OIG centered on independence, teamwork, diversity, work-life balance, and value-added oversight. Next stop?the Amtrak Office of Inspector General!
The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer is responsible for planning, directing, and executing public affairs activities, Congressional and intergovernmental outreach, and internal and external communications. The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer will develop and implement comprehensive communications plans; establish and maintain productive working partnerships with media; direct and manage the production of external OIG speeches, presentations, briefings, and special reports; and analyze feedback from the media, program officials, the public, and stakeholders.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- Master's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Policy, or other related field.
- Familiarity with the accountability community (e.g., OIG, GAO).
- Familiarity with passenger rail operations and/or transportation operations.
- Must have at least seven (7) years of experience in managing and coordinating Congressional relations and/or public affairs.
- Knowledge of public information and government relations concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques.
- Strategic and operational understanding of federal government procedures and processes.
- Experience working with Congressional members and staff to provide information about or advance an organization's interests affected by legislative process.
- Experience preparing speeches and briefing papers for senior officials; managing and overseeing production of written communications (e.g., articles, briefings, news releases) to convey technical and non-technical information; and developing, implementing, and evaluating communication strategies.
- Experience in planning, developing, and communicating programs, policies, and activities to the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to maintain composure in stressful situations and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to work across organizational boundaries to reach mutual goals.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-sensitive environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and social media.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Policy, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and work experience.
You will be eligible to participate in most Amtrak Benefits. Amtrak OIG is not a federal agency, and this is not a federal government position.
Veterans' preference, as codified in Title 5 of the U.S. Code, does not apply to this position. Amtrak OIG is not a federal agency, and this is not a federal government position. However, Amtrak OIG proudly supports and encourages U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
Amtrak OIG is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or other protected characteristic.
Pre-employment drug test required, as well as successfully passing a background investigation.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on the information you provide in the Amtrak Careers Portal, your cover letter and resume. We will consider the quality and extent of your accomplishments, experience and education.Read more Security clearance Not Applicable