Congressional and Public Affairs Officer
(Please note that Amtrak OIG is not a federal agency; this is not federal government positions. Pay Plan/Series/Grade information is provide as a point of reference only)
Join with the Inspector General to help make America's railroad operate more efficiently and effectively. We are seeking talented professionals who want to make a difference. By conducting or supporting independent, objective audits and investigations of the programs and operations of the National Passenger Railroad Corporation (Amtrak), you could directly contribute to our mission of providing independent, objective oversight of Amtrak's programs and operations; preventing and detecting fraud, waste, and abuse; and providing Congress, Amtrak management, and Amtrak's Board of Directors with timely analysis about Amtrak's programs and operations. Join us as we continue to build a model OIG centered on independence, teamwork, diversity, work-life balance, and value-added oversight. Next stop?the Amtrak Office of Inspector General!
The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer is responsible for planning, directing, and executing public affairs activities, Congressional and intergovernmental outreach, and internal and external communications. The Congressional and Public Affairs Officer will develop and implement comprehensive communications plans; establish and maintain productive working partnerships with media; direct and manage the production of external OIG speeches, presentations, briefings, and special reports; and analyze feedback from the media, program officials, the public, and stakeholders.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- Must have at least seven (7) years of experience in managing and coordinating Congressional relations and/or public affairs.
- Knowledge of public information and government relations concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques.
- Strategic and operational understanding of federal government procedures and processes.
- Experience working with Congressional members and staff to provide information about or advance an organization's interests affected by legislative process.
- Experience preparing speeches and briefing papers for senior officials; managing and overseeing production of written communications (e.g., articles, briefings, news releases) to convey technical and non-technical information; and developing, implementing, and evaluating communication strategies.
- Experience in planning, developing, and communicating programs, policies, and activities to the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to maintain composure in stressful situations and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to work across organizational boundaries to reach mutual goals.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-sensitive environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and social media.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Policy, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and work experience.
- Master's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Policy, or other related field.
- Familiarity with the accountability community (e.g., OIG, GAO).
- Familiarity with passenger rail operations and/or transportation operations.
- Develops and coordinates public relations and public information programs in accordance with established Amtrak and OIG policies.
- Functions as Congressional Liaison, serving as the primary coordinator for all communication with Congressional offices. Maintains positive working relationships with Congressional staff, members of the media, and interested public accountability organizations. Handles all incoming requests for reports, interviews and background information involving the OIG senior management. Maintains a record of communications with Congressional and media contacts.
- Collaborates with the Senior Director for Quality Assurance and Internal Affairs and the executive team (as appropriate) to define and implement a strategic communications agenda that enables the OIG to disseminate information in order to increase awareness, understanding and relevance of the OIG with key audiences, and to facilitate partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Plans and executes program to inform Congressional offices, the media and the general public about OIG's various roles, activities, and results. Coordinates all requests for information or briefings from Congressional members and staff related to completed, ongoing or requested OIG programs, audit and investigative projects and activities. Provides legislative tracking, research and analysis, particularly with regard to annual and supplemental appropriations.
- Coordinates all public affairs activities, to include pre-publication reviews, speaking engagements, and responses to media inquiries. Oversees the design, development, and dissemination of information to stakeholders using the full range of media and communication methods. Provides assistance and consultation to OIG management in drafting and reviewing written material such as published articles, public statements and speeches, Congressional testimony, media quotes, briefing documents, and press releases to ensure consistency and appropriateness of message.
- Plans and facilitates public appearances and responses by OIG executives. Appearances or responses may involve the media, policy groups, the Executive Branch, and other external stakeholders.
- Monitors and analyzes media mentions and trends using web traffic data and related data analytics. Provides daily media articles and items of interest to OIG management and senior staff, as well as real-time information on current news, events and media reactions of interest to the OIG. Provides quality and insightful advice when a response is appropriate. Maintains awareness of public, media, and community relations; marketing and outreach; and congressional affairs.
- Coordinates proactive and reactive media coverage. Oversees relations with the media and broader public, promoting public understanding of the impact of the work of the OIG.
- Conducts intermittent coordination/communication with Amtrak's VP of Government Affairs and Corporate Communications, as required.