Summer 2018 2L Student Honors Legal Program
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is looking for the best and brightest to volunteer alongside our team. Our mission includes advocating for investors who seek to secure a future for their family, providing guidance and regulations for the nation's securities industry in an increasingly global market, and taking action with an eye toward promoting the capital formation necessary to sustain economic growth.
Do you want to perform challenging work in a professional environment? Begin by investing in your career and future at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)!
The SEC is seeking bright, innovative, results-oriented individuals for its Summer 2018 Student Honors Legal Program in our Washington, DC Home and Regional Offices. We offer law students robust responsibilities and experiences that enhance their legal careers. Over the course of the ten week program, students work with Commission staff on projects particular to the specific Division or Office to which they are assigned. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in seminars/workshops; roundtable discussions, a mentoring program, and tours that will provide detailed information and guidance on securities laws.
The Summer 2018 Student Honors Legal Program for law students will officially begin May 21, 2018 and conclude July 27, 2018.
- Not Required
Current 2L law students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited law school to participate in the Student Honors Legal Program.
- Applicants MUST be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be enrolled in an accredited US law school program as a 2L law student
- Must be enrolled at least half-time (8 credits or the equivalent)
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Relatives of current SEC employees are ineligible
1. Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
2. Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
3. Qualified applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and submit a complete application package are forwarded for consideration to the locations to which they have applied. Representatives from the locations may contact candidates directly for interviews.
4. SECURITY CLEARANCE: Invitations to participate in the program is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of invitation or selection to another opportunity.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Law students will be assigned to work with SEC staff members on projects and assignments that cover a broad range of the Commissions' work. Work assignments may vary based on the Division or Office the student is assigned. Intern assignments range from supporting litigation to assisting with drafting new regulations to helping with reviews, exams or public outreach. For information about the opportunities and the work that interns do in specific division/offices within headquarters, please read the SEC's website.
Internship opportunities in the Summer are full-time only with a requirement of 40 hours per week.
The following divisions and offices within our Washington, DC Headquarter location are seeking 2L law students to volunteer with us during the Summer 2018 program:
Division of Enforcement
Division of Corporation Finance
Division of Trading & Markets
Division of Investment Management
Office of Investor Advocate
Office of Administrative Law Judges
Office of Municipal Securities
Office of International Affairs
Office of Compliance Inspections & Examinations
Office of Credit Ratings
Office of General Counsel
Office of Inspector General
Our regional offices are comprised of mainly Division of Enforcement and Office of Compliance Inspection and Examinations. The following regional locations are seeking 2L law students to volunteer with us during the Summer 2018 program:
Atlanta Regional Office
Boston Regional Office
Chicago Regional Office
Denver Regional Office
Fort Worth Regional Office
Los Angeles Regional Office
Miami Regional Office
New York Regional Office
Philadelphia Regional Office
San Francisco Regional Office
Salt Lake Regional Office