Manager, Industry Advising and Employer Development
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Manager, Industry Advising and Employer Development
George Mason University Career Services is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic individual for the position of Manager of Industry Advising and Employer Development. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Create collaborations and support students pursuing experiential learning and career opportunities in such industry focuses as: advertising, arts, entertainment, marketing, media, public relations, and front-end technology fields (i.e., graphic design and web/app design and development); and/or engineering and technology fields (i.e., computer science, cybersecurity, data analytics and engineering);
- Support the centers mission by engaging in employer development, presenting career education workshops, advising on job/internship search strategies, and bridging the gap between college and career; and
- Serve on cross-functional center teams, develop educational programs and events, assist with strategic planning initiatives, and maintain key liaison relationships with university constituents.
Individual and Group Career Advising:
- Provide advising to students and alumni interested in arts/multimedia design and/or engineering/technology;
- Serve as center expert within assigned industry areas, maintaining current information on recruiting practices, timelines, and industry trends;
- Educate and prepare students on the specifics of their job/internship search strategy, including document review, networking techniques, interview preparation, and salary negotiation;
- Assist students in leveraging the use of social media and other technology in their search strategy;
- Present educational workshops on a variety of career topics and collaborate with staff to create, customize, and execute employer/alumni/student networking events and educational panels; and
- Consider the needs of academic stakeholders and provide industry-specific programming that meets the interests of Mason students and employers.
- Identify, target, and initiate employer relationships within assigned industry area;
- Build and maintain strong employer relationships through the utilization of center programs, events, and services;
- Increase internship and full-time recruiting efforts by promoting Mason students and alumni to the local, regional, and national employers;
- Contact employers by phone or e-mail; and host and/or visit local businesses, government, and organizations to develop opportunities in consultation with members of the Industry Advising and Employer Development team; and
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of recruiting and market trends to share regularly with all center staff members.
Cross-Functional Teams and University Initiatives:
- Serve on various cross-functional teams to promote the vision and direction of University Career Services, and contribute to the strategic planning in order to evolve center services and programs;
- Represent Mason and the center in local and national professional associations and conferences in order to stay current with industry standards and changes, revise programs to reflect trends, and increase the centers visibility among professionals in the field; and
- Participate in university committees providing representation of the career center on community issues.
- Masters degree;
- Demonstrated experience (minimum of one year is preferred) in a higher education setting counseling/advising students on career, internship, and job search issues or in human resources/talent acquisition working in college recruiting;
- Experience working with diverse populations;
- Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Collaborative and team oriented work style and the ability to multitask and thrive in a changing, dynamic environment; and
- Demonstrated proficiency in designing and delivering presentations; and using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Coursework in career development theories and practices;
- Three or more years of relevant experience;
- Knowledge of recruiting/hiring practices in advertising, arts, entertainment, marketing, media, public relations, and front-end technology fields (i.e., graphic design and web/app design and development); and/or engineering and technology fields (i.e., computer science, cybersecurity, data analytics and engineering);
- Demonstrated proficiency in using career assessment instruments;
- Event planning or programming experience;
- Working knowledge of career services management software (e.g., Symplicity, Handshake); and
- Ability to assess and report outcomes.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA724z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :