Principal Software Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16405.Information Systems
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: None
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Primary Purpose of the Position
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is open to learn Satellite communication concepts and serve as a primary developer on the projects related to Satellite communication link analysis tools. The individual will work as part of an Agile team to build and support complex next generation applications using .Net technologies.
An ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in design and development of microservices on .Net platform, asynchronous messaging, code optimization and application program interfaces (APIs). The individual should be ready to tackle complex problems and learn technical aspects of complex custom-built tools that are used in-house to perform complex satellite link budget analysis.
- Work as a primary developer on a team developing complex distributed satellite link analysis system using technologies such as ASP.NET, C#, XML, JSON, RabbitMQ.
- Work with analysts and end-users to seek requirement clarifications and design appropriate data models, application modules, APIs and perform development tasks.
- Engage in architectural discussions with the software architect, share technical ideas with the development team and contribute to improving the quality of the applications.
- Promote, enforce, and maintain Intelsat coding standards; Hold code reviews and build code with automated unit and regression tests.
- Ensure application modules are designed and built to scale to meet expected demand. Identify and fix gaps in system reliability.
- Develop and maintain documentation related to the relevant applications under construction and interface control documents (ICD).
- Collaborate with IT Managers and/or leads to provide effort estimates for features to be built into the applications.
- Serve as escalation point for production capacity systems applications.
- Engage with Information Security, Operations and Engineering teams to support the deployment of applications - including new major releases, minor enhancements/fixes
- Play key developer role on application development projects to develop, enhance and maintain the applications using .Net technologies.
- Collaborate as part of an Agile development team, actively engage in technical discussions, share technical ideas and contribute to improving the quality of the applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Demonstrated abilities in design and development of complex multi-tier applications
- A minimum of 5 years of design and development experience on Microsoft .Net platform using C#, ASP.NET, .NET(MVC), XML, JSON, TFS
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in building Microservices based applications using aynchronous messaging systems such as RabbitMQ.
- Good understanding and development experience in building multi-threaded, asynchronous and parallel code.
- Good understanding of Object Oriented Programming and RDBMS concepts
- Ability to work independently and possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience in the following areas is a plus: git tools, SQL, Oracle PL/SQL, PowerShell scripting, swagger.io
- Strong knowledge of building interfaces between multiple systems
- Developing system interfaces and interfaces using a variety of technologies
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.