Graduate Assistant - Department of Counseling
The position begins one week before classes start for the fall 2017 semester and ends one week after classes end in the fall 2017 semester. A 1/3 Graduate Assistant in the Department of Counseling works 105 hours total each semester of the assistantship (which averages 7 hours per week in a typical 15 week semester); and receives a waiver of three (3) credits of graduate tuition for the fall semester.
The GA work assignment may include any or all of the following:
- Assisting faculty in their research (e.g., literature collection, literature review, entering/coding data, creating online surveys)
- Assisting in data collection and writing of annual learning outcome assessment reports and 5 year program assessment
- Acting as a student contact for prospective/new students
- Participating in Open Houses, New Student Orientations, and other departmental functions
- Assisting in information collecting re: counseling and related educational programs and other programs of interest
- Maintaining bulletin boards, creating fliers and other visuals for departmental events and initiatives, and assuming other duties as assigned
- Accepted into Marymount as a graduate student in the Counseling M.A. program by August 1, 2017.
- Must be registered for at least 6 graduate credits during any semester in which you are awarded a GA position
- For current students, graduate GPA must be at least 3.0. For entering graduate students, undergraduate GPA must be at least 3.0.
- Strong Academic record and community/professional service experience.
- Knowledge of various computer software packages (e.g., MS Word, PowerPoint, Access, Excel), Internet browsers, and library databases
- Proficiency in SPSS is encouraged, but not required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to work as part of a team and on an individual basis, take direction, and follow through on assigned tasks
Full-time students are given preference over part-time students
Special Notes to Applicants
One position will be available in the Counseling Department for fall 2017 and may continue for the spring 2018 semester. You must include a list of 2 references.
Application materials must be received by
Open Until Filled Yes
Marymount is a comprehensive Catholic university that emphasizes the liberal arts, career preparation, and personal and professional development. A diverse and welcoming learning community, Marymount serves nearly 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The universityâ€™s location in suburban Arlington, Virginia, offers easy access to the rich resources of the nationâ€™s capital. Marymount University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.