Dispatcher - Maintenance Services (7:30am-4:00pm)
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Functions as a central point of contact for emergency and routine service calls and communicates necessary information to the Facilities Division. Responds to calls, both telephone and radio, pertaining to facility hazards, accidents, or other facility operational problems and assists in the administrative coordination of such activities as assigned. This position is considered essential personnel for emergency situations, including inclement weather conditions. This may involve reporting to work early and/or staying late in support of inclement weather or other emergency situations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Receives incoming telephone and radio transmissions and transmits messages and related information to appropriate the appropriate Facilities Staff in person or via base station radio/intercom system. Under direction of the Sr. Specialist or designee, dispatches maintenance crews via base station radio and/or telephone.
2. Works in stressful situations to handle emergencies and effectively operates the base station radio/telephones to promptly transmit and coordinate information and services.
3. Performs telephone operator duties for the Facilities Division during normal business hours. These hours are subject to change based on direction from direct supervisor.
4. Notifies Supervisor of Maintenance, appropriate Facilities Managers, and AACPS Security office immediately of emergencies involving situations of health and safety that will adversely affect the operations of schools and offices. Elicits as much pertinent information as possible from party requesting assistance; transmits and coordinates information and instructions to all appropriate parties.
5. Keeps accurate dispatcher notes and telephone messages to transmit and coordinate information between sender-receiver and other appropriate parties.
6. Creates and updates urgent issue log for the Facilities Division using Excel.
7. Receives check-in calls and keeps an accurate time/location log for all radio dispatched vehicles and/or maintenance crews, as instructed.
8. Maintains daily shop crew work schedules of mechanic assignments.
9. Operates computer, scanning equipment and telephone system.
10. Maintains filing system.
11. Enters information into the Facilities Work Order System (SchoolDude) as required.
12. Performs various clerical duties such as data entry.
13. Serves as a backup to other office personnel as designated.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate.
· Two (2) years of office work experience, dispatching experience preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience deemed sufficient to prepare the applicant to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Ability to provide excellent customer service.
· Ability to operate telephone and radio equipment.
· Ability to be organized and work with a high degree of accuracy under pressure of time, and amidst distractions.
· Ability to listen and understand callers who are under stress.
· Ability to quickly and objectively analyze emergency situations, determine and take proper action.
· Ability to record accurately and legibly, details of activities and provide information.
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work and provide excellent oral and written communication with diverse populations including but not limited to school based staff and vendor personnel.
· Demonstrated proficiency with business software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite-Word, Excel, Outlook and/or PowerPoint preferred).
· Satisfactory score on any test required.
Career Ladder Requirements
· As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.