Generalist Plan Reviewer (Engineer III)
- Recommends revisions in the County Code and related documents;
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding Chesapeake Bay Ordinance exceptions and exemptions, subdivision waivers, site plan waivers and Public Facilities Manual (PFM) waivers. Reviews and approves subdivision and site plans and associated plans/studies;
- Researches special engineering studies, reports, summaries and reviews;
- Interacts with external engineering, environmental and construction contractors, ensuring the best use of county resources and timely completion of projects;
- Maintains project files and documentation;
- Mentors and leads less experienced staff in day-to-day business or for special projects;
- Prepares/reviews all calculations;
- Prepares neat and accurate field notes;
- Prepares and presents reports to boards and commissions;
- Works and interacts with the general public.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; and four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented and possesses excellent technical and communication skills, including clear and concise oral and written communication abilities. Ability to read and interpret construction and site-related plans. Ability to work with limited direction to address identified goals and objectives within a team environment. Excellent organizational skills and strong ability to multitask. Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience in records management and electronic records. Knowledge of and experience in site engineering, Stormwater Management (SWM) design & construction, types & methods of SWM, drainage, floodplains, types and methods of erosion and sediment control, and knowledge of land development and/or construction processes. Professional Engineer (PE) license.
Manual dexterity to operate keyboard-driven equipment. Ability to be mobile in order to visit inspection sites, to include traversing through rough and uneven terrain. All duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Erosion & Sediment Control Plan Review Certification within 18 months of appointment.
- Stormwater Plan Review Certification - Completion of first required training class (Basic Stormwater Management in Virginia) within six months of appointment and possession of a valid SWM Plan Reviewer certification within 24 months from the date of completion of first required training class.
The appointee of this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Panel Interview, may include written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.