Park/Recreation Specialist III
This position is located in Region 1 in the Southern area of Fairfax County. This announcement may be used to fill multiple Park Recreation Specialist III positions throughout the Regional Services and Center Operations organization.
Plans, develops, implements, manages, and evaluates outcome-based inclusive recreation programs, educational and lifelong programs, technology programs, health and wellness programs, fitness classes, community service projects, volunteer programs, community outings, and special events for adults and seniors. Works as a member of the regional team to implement county-wide projects and activities focused on obtaining specific outcomes for adults and seniors and reducing at-risk behavior by working collaboratively with multiple public and private human services agencies. Hires, trains, coaches, and supervises merit staff and coordinates volunteers. Provides the highest quality of customer service to Fairfax County residents living in the community. Performs administrative tasks including reporting statistical data for monthly reports and fiscal management including collection of money and managing a budget. Assists with facility management, scheduling, and operations. Obtains equipment and supplies. Ensures adherence to policies and procedures. Conducts marketing and manages program calendars. Conducts outreach and recruitment to connect adults and seniors to programs and services. Develops partnerships with community, non-profit, and faith-based organizations. Facilitates involvement of adults and seniors with disabilities and assists in implementation of modified and adapted activities for that function at varying levels. This position works under the direction of the Operations Manager. Appointee must be able to work evening and weekends as required by program responsibilities.
- Conducts programs and service delivery evaluations using a variety of tools;
- Identifies deficiencies, recommends revisions, and implements recommendations using innovative strategies;
- Develops and maintains community and corporate partnerships and sponsorships or grants to provide services, funding, equipment and/or facilities;
- Develops and implements community outreach plans that target underserved populations to increase overall program participation;
- Recruits, trains, and schedules staff and volunteers;
- Plans, directs, and evaluates the work of subordinate staff;
- Participates in the development of long- and short-term goals, operating objectives, and strategies and implementation plans to improve service delivery and maximize the efficient use of parklands and recreation facilities;
- Completes and evaluates various financial, administrative, and statistical reports from daily operations;
- Develops and submits annual operating budgets and monitors revenue/expenditure levels against approved budget and targeted revenue plans;
- Ensures compliance with financial guidelines and reconciles revenue and expense reports;
- Ensures accountability for fixed assets;
- Ensures that all facilities meet quality standards for housekeeping, cleanliness, and maintenance;
- Ensures that facilities and grounds are free of safety hazards, that appropriate safety measures are implemented, and that all federal, state, and county safety standards are applied and satisfied;
- Develops and implements security guidelines to protect park facilities and the public against fire, vandalism, and other threats;
- Authorizes the procurement of supplies, equipment, or services;
- Interacts with citizens and community organizations regarding park use, maintenance, and operations, and ensures resolution of customer complaints and concerns;
- Acquires and posts all current certificates, licenses, permits, and operating requirements;
- Reviews and makes recommendations on plans for new park or facility constructions;
- Ensures compliance with established operating procedures;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the public and County staff;
- Prepares and reviews contracts for facility use and contractual services.
- Ensures accountability for resale inventories;
- Conducts and/or reviews initial client intake, assessment and general functioning screening of children, teens, and adults with disabilities to determine appropriate treatment protocol for each assigned client;
- Ensures best practices and protocols are followed by staff through training and assessment of work.
- Schedules, plans, organizes, supervises, and evaluates a diverse selection of activities within the components of leisure that include community integration services, service-learning programs, character education activities, family activities, community outings, socials, hobby enrichment classes, leisure counseling and coaching, and therapeutic activity interventions;
- Meets regularly with citizen advisory groups to discuss community needs, evaluates feasibility of suggestions, and incorporates viable proposals into programming;
- Provides coordination and support of special activities and events.
- Completes and maintains participant-related documents (assessment, service plan, progress notations) and adheres to agency's policies regarding information contained within the documents;
- Participates in interdisciplinary human service planning teams;
- Works with other human service agencies to provide appropriate intervention strategies;
- Coordinates with health, social services, legal, financial, and housing professionals to arrange and conduct special programs.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of parks and recreation center operations, maintenance, and management;
- Knowledge of group work methods and activity facilitation;
- Knowledge of financial management controls relating to budgeting and accounting of expenditures;
- Ability to manage a large complex operation with extensive capital equipment, property value, and inventory;
- Ability to motivate and supervise staff;
- Ability to schedule, coordinate, and prioritize the work of a diverse group of employees;
- Ability to evaluate employees' performance against comprehensive performance standards;
- Ability to prepare clear, concise financial and administrative reports;
- Ability to analyze programs and procedures and to evaluate their performance against established objectives;
- Ability to prepare and adhere to budgets;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software, and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to develop and implement effective management practices;
- Ability to develop and implement staff training programs;
- Ability to plan, develop, and administer recreation programs and community service activities to meet the special needs of at-risk populations and communities;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with staff, citizen groups, and the public;
- Ability to work independently using sound judgment in the execution of the position's duties. If assigned to teen/senior positions:
- Knowledge of the various theories of human development;
- Knowledge of youth-related risk factors and early identification criteria. If assigned to therapeutic recreation positions:
- Knowledge of the various theories of human development;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of therapeutic recreation and disability issues;
- Knowledge of the specific limitations associated with various disabilities;
- Knowledge of OSHA/Universal precaution standards;
- Working knowledge of general medical and psychiatric terminology.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to the following: graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in recreation and park, therapeutic recreation, horticulture, agriculture, cultural and historic resources or other closely related field as appropriate to the duties of the position; plus three years of experience in park or recreation-related work, as applicable to the position, including one year of supervisory experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle driver's license;
- Must meet qualifications to operate a county vehicle;
- Possession of a valid CPR and First Aid certification within 90 days of employment;
- Possession of a valid AED certification within 90 days of employment;
- Possession of VA Food Handler's certification within 90 days of employment.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Bilingual ability. Master's degree in recreation or related field. Certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or eligibility for certification within one year. Experience with the following: adult and senior programming; community-based recreation programming for individuals with disabilities; supervising recreation employees; conducting outreach and programming to diverse cultures; outcome- based programming; working with self-directed teams; managing multiple programs and projects; coordinating volunteer programs and services; and developing partnerships, sponsorships or collaborative programs and services with public and private agencies.
Employee may be required to do some walking, bending, and carrying of items. Work requires the ability to lift and move moderately heavy items such as boxes of paper, banquet tables, chairs. May also be required to assist participants with wheelchairs/walkers. Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.