This position is located in the White House Division of the Office of the National Park Service Liaison to the White House. Please visit find a park for additional park information.
This is aCareer/Career-Conditional work schedule appointment.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
- Not Required
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
1. Ability to do the work of a Gardener (MVO) WG-5003-09, without more than normal supervision (SCREEN OUT)
If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT factor above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- Handles propagation, cultivation, and continued maintenance of a wide variety of greenhouse crops including annuals; perennials; holiday crops; flowering and non flowering indoor plants; vegetables; and ornamental trees and shrubs
- During periods of hot weather. incumbent waters crops on an hourly basis in an effort to maintain viability of plants
- Incumbent prepares greenhouse plants amd trees for seasonal displays, including preparing them for transport.
- Consults websites, gardening catalogues, and gardening books to obtain guidance on various horticultural practices
- Diagnoses and performs minor repairs on gardening amd grounds equipment and irrigation systems