With more than 25,000 members, the American Educational Research Association (AERA) is the largest national professional organization devoted to the scientific study of education and learning. Founded in 1916, AERA advances knowledge about education, encourages scholarly inquiry related to education, and promotes the use of research to improve education and serve the public good.
The AERA Professional Development Program (PDP) seeks to build capacity and enhance research skills among students, early career scholars, senior scholars, and others who produce education research and build capacity for it. Core to the program are initiatives dedicated to professional development and training. These include the longstanding AERA Grants Program (supported by the National Science Foundation), the Minority Dissertation Fellowship in Education Research, Undergraduate Student Education Research Training Workshop, as well as Institutes that provide research training in specific areas. Also, the program offers substantive and methodological courses in education research primarily at the Association’s Annual Meeting and through the online AERA Virtual Research Learning Center. Key activities involve training researchers and scholars in research methods and conceptual and analytic issues related to research; drawing connections between education research and policy; and addressing important issues of professional development research practice and research policy of the highest quality. Advances in statistical techniques, research methods, technology, and general modes and methods of research make professional development a continual and ongoing process.
AERA seeks to hire a Program Associate to provide administrative, research, and project management support to advance Professional Development programs and initiatives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to providing planning and administrative support for activities related to AERA’s Professional Development Program. This position will also provide support to the Association’s programs in diversity, inclusion, and social justice in education research.
The program associate’s duties include working independently, with guidance and collaboratively to support AERA’s fellowship and grants programs, initiatives, and projects; providing support for coordinating meetings and special events; conducting research and preparing written reports on topics related to program initiatives and activities. These duties also include developing and maintaining print and electronic records and resources for multiple projects, interacting with members and the education research community to support AERA programs, and completing other tasks as assigned.
- Self-starter who is proactive, creative and resourceful in handling routine assignments and emergent challenges effectively.
- Exceptional organizing and problem-solving skills; sound judgement.
- Ability to work independently and as a supportive team member on multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail and ensuring timely completion.
- Excellent communication (listening, speaking and writing) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan, implement, and complete complex projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong research and analytic skills.
- Strong professional outreach skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, university faculty, and other professionals at all levels.
- Strong computer and technical skills including advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and database packages (Stata, SPSS).
- Ability to travel occasionally and to work outside of business hours when necessary (including weekends).
- High tolerance for ambiguity.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in the social sciences preferred; three or more years of related work experience.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. AERA has an excellent benefits program and a competitive salary structure.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and the names of three professional references to Human Resources, Attention: Program Director, at email@example.com. Include Program Associate in the email subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Selected candidates will be interviewed by phone before finalists are invited to on-site interviews.
The American Educational Research Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Program Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly