Director (Office of International Research Programs)
The Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief scientific in-house research agency. Our job is finding solutions to agricultural problems that affect Americans every day from field to table.
This position is located in the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Office of International Research Programs (OIRP), Beltsville, MD.
The OIRP facilitates and coordinates international collaborative research and scientific cooperation to advance agricultural research and technology, increase U.S. farm income, expand agricultural exports, conserve natural resources, and improve world agriculture.
As Director of OIRP, the incumbent is responsible for planning, implementing, coordinating, managing and evaluating overall OIRP programs with the framework of the National Program system, personally provides leadership in identifying and evaluating management options that impact OIRP program execution, and oversees the ARS Overseas Biocontrol research in France, Argentina, China and Australia. The incumbent also oversees implementation of management decisions and coordinates and integrates ARS international research with other Federal agencies, land-grant organizations, and the private sector.
This position is being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion procedures on . Disabled Veterans, candidates with 3 or more years of active duty military service, and candidates eligible for special hiring authorities can apply to the Merit Promotion announcement if they meet criteria for the above and include supporting documents.
- Occasional Travel
- 3 - 4 times per year, frequently international travel
- Relocation may be authorized.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for this position are:
At the GS-15
Qualifying experience includes one year of specialized experience comparable to the GS-14 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is experience applying expertise in multi-disciplinary food and agricultural sciences and the principles of advanced management and organization to international collaborative research and scientific exchanges that have contributed to worldwide advances in agricultural research and technology. Such experience must demonstrate evidence of having successfully dealt with the subtleties and sensitivities of varying international cultures to accomplish mutually beneficial goals and objectives.
Subject to satisfactory completion of a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period.
May be subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for leadership of the planning and program development of the OIRP mission, goals, and policies, and ensuring integration of OIRP within the Office of National Programs.
- Provides leadership in developing, implementing, and coordinating program projections, evaluating and consolidating budgetary requests, and in recommending and supporting such requests to the agency Administrator.
- Provides guidance, support and facilitation for international cooperation to Agency leaders and other staff with foreign ministries of agriculture, nongovernment agricultural organizations, and international institutions.
- Uses specialized knowledge of ARS scientific, multi-disciplinary programs and the principles of advanced management and organization to administer the division's international collaborative research and scientific exchanges.
- Supervises the ARS Overseas Biological Control Laboratories located in France, Argentina, Australia, and China. Provides progrommatic leadership and guidance, and implements interactions between the Agency and other institutions.