Clinical Nurse (Critical Care)
1 day left
- Full Time
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position: This position is located within the Directorate of Nursing, Department of Critical Care Nursing, Medical Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD. The position is an ICU RN Staff Nurse, working in the Medical ICU. Work is performed in an inpatient hospital setting where exposure to bodily fluids is possible. Protective clothing and gear will be required.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (NOTE: You must provide a copy of your transcripts as part of your application package in order to be considered for this position.)
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained. (NOTE: You must provide a copy of your registration as part of your application package in order to be considered for this position.)
Experience: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Providing highly specialized critical care nursing for intensive care patients; i.e., open heart surgical patients, in accordance with patient safety goals and policies/procedures; providing independent, comprehensive nursing care based on physician orders and needs of the patient. Computer skills required for charting, order processing, etc.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position requires you to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations, unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate.
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
As a Clinical Nurse (Critical Care), you will apply in-depth knowledge of professional nursing theories, principles, and procedures, providing primary RN care to Open Heart Surgical Patients. You will provide specialized services to patients with complex systems and/or disease processes, and maintain accountability for patient care management of critical care/ICU patients. The position also requires the operation and monitoring of highly complex technical and specialized equipment; which may include mechanical ventilators, hemodynamic monitoring equipment, intraaortic balloon pump, cardiac monitors, EKG machines, etc.