Award Specialist - Office of Contracts and Grants
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is responsible for all financial aspects of The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS), including Accounting, Budget, Contracts and Grants Accounting, Contracts and Grants Management, Procurement, Travel, and Financial Analysis and Reporting.
Perform routine contract and grant administration actions including administration of the pre-award process. Review proposal packages for compliance with institution policy and procedure as well as request for proposal (RFP) requirements. Ensure that proposals are accurate, complete, and submitted on-time. Advise internal customers on proposal review status and coordinate final review and processing of proposals. Post-award administration duties include coordinating internal reviews of new awards and modifications, creating and updating files and updating business systems with award details.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Perform thorough review of proposals for budget accuracy, format, and responsiveness to solicitation/application requirements and to ensure Governing Board authorization. Facilitate the proposal preparation process by advising internal customers on budget formats, forms, application specifications, submission and other sponsor requirements.
2. Submit final proposal documents through federal agency and private foundation online sites or via email, ensuring adherence to sponsor deadlines. Serve as a point of contact for sponsor administrative inquiries.
3. Data entry of proposal information and award details into financial database. Draft internal review memoranda to capture and communicate pertinent award details. Prepare completed proposals, awards and modifications for appropriate signatures. Draft Federal Representations and Certifications in support of proposals. File and maintain records in accordance with group and organizational policies and procedures.
4. Knowledge of and appropriate use of pre- and post-award administrative templates including proposal budgets, memoranda and other correspondence. Advise internal customers on use of templates and overall process.
5. Participate in training activities for internal customers on the proposal preparation process. Prepare materials in support of training.
6. Coordinate with contract managers on the final review and processing of proposals, awards, modifications and all documents requiring an authorized signature. Seek recommendations and advice from contract managers as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Grant and contract administration experience and familiarity with standard clauses and regulations including Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and/or OMB Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance)
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office Excel and experience utilizing enterprise financial database software such as Oracle© PeopleSoft
- Ability to work independently on an assigned portfolio and communicate policies and procedures to internal customers effectively.
- Use a variety of resource materials and media to research grant and contract administrative requirements including application and submission requirements
- Ability to work successfully as a member of a team
- Excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail and a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.