Editorial Production Manager - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
National Academy of Sciences Executive Office (NASEO) is responsible for the Academy's membership activities and meetings, its governing council, its scientific programs, the publication of the journal of original research (PNAS) and Arts in the Academy programs.
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is the National Academy of Sciences’ official peer-reviewed journal of original scientific research. Since its establishment in 1914, it publishes cutting-edge research reports, commentaries, reviews, perspectives, colloquium papers, and actions of the Academy. Coverage in PNAS spans the biological, physical, and social sciences.
The Editorial Production Manager manages day-to-day operations for editorial production of all aspects of the production process, including financial, budgetary, and technical components. Provides leadership and direction to the production and billing departments. Compiles production-related benchmarks and statistics.
Primary duty is directly related to the management of production workflows and scheduling for weekly journal. Applies in-depth professional level knowledge to independently solve a full range of complex problems. Assignments are broadly defined and require judgment and creativity to complete. Working under minimal supervision and with guidance in only the most complex situations, incumbent has authority to take whatever action deemed advisable or necessary, but is required to advise superiors. Incumbent supervises staff, is accountable for the performance and results of the team, and establishes processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of assigned functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Serves as key liaison with composition and printing services vendor and tracks vendor performance. Manages production schedules, oversees follow-up to vendor queries, and troubleshoots production problems.
2. Prepares and distributes production reports on turn-times, published pages, and other production-related topics. Assesses current procedures and makes appropriate recommendations to achieve efficiencies and cost savings.
3. Manages production editor tasks, including overseeing content corrections with composition vendor and relevant internal teams.
4. Supervises production assistants and coordinators.
5. Maintains procedure and production history documentation.
6. Reviews and proposes updates to templates and other author communications to reflect current editorial production procedures. Manages updates of editorial production instruction on the journal and submission websites.
7. Supports Sr. Production Manager in budget review and development as well as RFP development.
8. Supports short- and long-term strategic planning for digital production.
9. Copyedits internal documents and/or manages external contract copyeditors.
10. Liaison with internal teams to develop production-related enhancements to the peer-review system.
11. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of composition and digital and print production processes. Ability to create and monitor schedules. Staff supervision, including evaluating staff and determining developmental goals. Ability to solve intellectual problems of appreciable complexity and variety using originality and ingenuity. Ability to operate using appreciable latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to form and maintain effective teams. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.