Purchasing Assistant, Public Services and Procurement Canada
The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is seeking to hire a Purchasing Assistant to work with Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) - Washington Office.
Position title: Purchasing Assistant, Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
Section: Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) –Washington Office
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-TBD
Starting salary: $50,178 USD, plus benefits
Competition no: 12/17
Date posted: August 4, 2017
Closing date: August 18, 2017
Employment Tenure: There is one (1) term position to be filled, having a specified period of employment of three (3) years, with the possibility of extension or change in employment status to indeterminate based on operational needs. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
- Persons living in the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. (Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.)
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Reside in the United States.
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the Essential Requirements, i.e., Education, Experience, for this position. All communications relating to this process, including email correspondence, may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Reporting to the Manager, Foreign Military Sales, the incumbent participates in a wide range of activities including preparing formal contract documentation; controlling and administering active contract files; maintaining computer databases; developing and preparing special reports utilizing computer processing systems, including the manipulation of input data; planning and scheduling support for visitors and special events; providing back-up support to the Program Assistant; and performing other duties.
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
A degree from an accredited university or college; or an acceptable combination of relevant experience, education, and training related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience providing administrative support service in a government or corporate office environment;
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications;
- Experience in the management of information, both electronically and in hard copy; and
- Experience conducting research to identify specific information and/or resources and then developing reports.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) and the role of the PSPC-Washington Office;
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs and databases; and
- Knowledge of web-based research.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Provide client service in person, by telephone, and electronically;
- Research, analyze, and evaluate information effectively;
- Maintain a database and prepare reports based on the data;
- Learn quickly and continually;
- Plan and organize, with a particular emphasis on event planning; and
- Ensure accuracy and attention to detail.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Flexibility; and
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the Essential Requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Applications should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates should confirm that they meet all of the Essential Requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description and to indicate the position number.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent will be required to work overtime on an as-needed basis.