Director, Grants & Strategic Partnerships
EMPLOYER: Common Cause 805 15th Street, NW, Suite 800 Washington, DC 20005 www.commoncause.org
POSITION AVAILABLE: Director, Grants and Strategic Partnerships – Position located in DC
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Development
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, citizen activism, and fundraising? Are you interested in a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about democracy? We seek an experienced development professional to help us expand our political and organizational footprint. The ideal candidate will have a background in fundraising as well as politics, democracy reform, or both. He or she will be responsible for strategic planning, development, directing and coordination of all grant writing, tracking and reporting activities for the organization.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The core responsibilities include prospect research and identification, proposal and report writing and submission, prospect and donor relationship management, and monitoring progress toward goals of grants within portfolio:
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new foundation prospects and steward existing foundation funders.
- Work with Development and Management Teams to manage administration of current grants, including tracking deadlines, collecting information from program staff and the finance department, writing and submitting timely proposals, reports, updates and stewardship reports, and letters of inquiry.
- Play a key role in assigning and managing the portfolio of relationships to be cultivated by program staff and in coaching program staff to effectively cultivate those relationships.
- Secure meetings with foundation contacts and facilitate meeting logistics and follow up; duties include preparing advance background briefings for meeting attendees, creating contact reports, coordinating future action steps, etc.
- Support Senior Management staff and/or Board members working with current foundation donors and/or foundation prospects.
- Assist with other departmental projects and related work as assigned by the Vice President of Development.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will possess the following abilities:
- Strong project management, team leadership, and time-management skills, proven ability to plan, meet deadlines, and efficiently manage multiple tasks and priorities under tight time constraints. Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines.
- A minimum of three years of foundation fundraising experience, but 5 years or more with demonstrated track record of success in securing five- and six-figure grants is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, research and analytical skills
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as member of a team; supervisory experience a plus.
- Familiarity with CRM software such as ROI Solutions or the web-interface versions of Raiser’s Edge or DonorPerfect preferred.
- Engaging and eager to work with leaders and staff; able to build and cultivate relationships with a broad range of foundation leaders, activists, and community contacts;
- Eager to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team-oriented, and goal-driven environment;
- A strong commitment to the Common Cause mission, especially our nonpartisan approach to helping citizens participate in democracy and hold power accountable.
- Ability to clearly communicate Common Cause positions on policy matters.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include DIRECTOR, GRANTS & STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS - DC in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Founded 45 years ago, Common Cause has 850,000 members and supporters, and chapters in 35 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.
Apply for Director, Grants & Strategic Partnerships
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly