Student Trainee (Administrative), GS-0399-3/4/5 Intern
At NSF, you will use your Student Trainee (Administrative) expertise in an exciting, challenging, and team-oriented environment. You will have the opportunity to use your current skills to help make NSF's vision of the future become a reality. NSF also offers a variety of formal and informal learning and development opportunities that you can use to build new skills and advance your career. If you're seeking variety and challenge in a collegial atmosphere, look no further than NSF! More about NSF.
This is an opportunity under the Internship Program component of the Pathways Programs. The Internship Program provides students enrolled in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education. Veteran's Preference will be applied in filling positions under the Pathways Programs.
This announcement is for a Student Trainee (Administrative)
Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Students can be hired for Internship positions at any time during the year.
- Students typically work part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer, winter, and spring vacations.
- Students will be on indefinite appointments during their period of eligibility under the Internship Program.
- Interns will be required to sign an agreement that outlines the parameters of the Internship Program during employment with NSF.
- The Internship Program allows students an opportunity to be converted non-competitively to a career-conditional or term position once the student completes all requirements of the Internship Program.
- Noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position is NOT guaranteed. The Intern’s eligibility for conversion does NOT guarantee that the agency will opt for conversion.
- Not Required
- To apply for the GS-3 level job, you must have 6 months of full-time clerical experience OR 1 year of education above the high school (e.g., be going into your sophomore year of college).
- To apply for the GS-4 level job, you must have 1 year of full-time clerical experience OR 2 years of education above high school (e.g., be going into your junior year of college).
- To apply for the GS-5 level job, you must have 1 year of full-time experience at the GS-4 level OR Successfully completed four full years of education above high school level.
From the closing date of this vacancy announcement, applicants must have at least one year remaining in their required coursework for completion of their degree.
Education may be substituted for experience as described in “Qualifications."
All Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: Accreditation.
PLEASE NOTE: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire.
All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Our Student Trainees (Administrative) are clerical positions. They provide support to National Science Foundation scientists and administrators who promote and fund the best possible awards through grants. These positions can be your first step into a fulfilling career at NSF. As a Student Trainee (Administrative) you will:
- Type a variety of documents
- Enter data
- Sort and distribute mail
- Maintain files
- Assist office visitors and callers