Assistant Director for Exhibitions
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Not Required
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- May be required to serve an 18-month probationary period for managers.
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined asoverseeing all aspects of exhibition design and production of specimen or artifact-based exhibitions for a major museum or gallery complex, including short and long-term planning, content development, architectural and engineering plans, conservation, contracting, cost estimating, budgeting, fabrication, installation, graphics, and audio-visual production.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
*Must include the size in (sq. ft.) of exhibitions you have worked within your resume.*
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Serves as the principal advisor to senior management on all aspects of permanent, temporary, and traveling exhibitions to include short-term and long-range planning design and content development, architectural and engineering plans, historic preservation, conservation, contracting, cost estimating, demolition, fabrication, installation and de-installation, maintenance, graphics, way-finding, and audio-visual.
- Oversees the design and production of several science and anthropological exhibitions simultaneously, some of which are large and complex, displaying thousands of valuable specimens and artifacts.
- Develops, justifies, executes, and controls the Office of Exhibits Federal and Trust budgets and ensures compliance with all Federal, Institution and Museum financial management policies and procedures.
- Directs the Office of Exhibitions, leading staff and contractors to ensure quality performance consistent with Museum program emphasis and overall priorities.
- Participates in broader Smithsonian initiatives locally, nationally, or internationally, relating to exhibition planning, development and/or implementation.