Technical Editor- Operational Evaluation Division
The Technical Editor provides substantive editorial support to the research staff and IDA Division management. Responsibilities include detailed editing and writing assistance on presentation materials, reports, papers, documents, and other publications. Coordinates and oversees production activities from initial draft to final published product. May also assist other Research Divisions in the editing and production of their publications. This position provides editorial support to the assigned Research Division. There may be limited supervisory oversight of the workflow of publications through production. There are no direct supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
- Uses manual and electronic means to edit and format text, illustrations, and tables in accordance with prescribed editorial and proofreading conventions. In addition to copyediting, provides extensive revisions, rewriting, or original writing as required. Recommends other improvements and advises research staff members on publication organization, format, and style.
- Reviews publication content for compliance with task order statement of work and with IDA and other prescribed editorial standards to ensure the highest possible quality.
- Provides guidelines on related publication matters such as copyright restrictions, Defense Printing Service restrictions on print quantities, procedures for public release of IDA publications, and procedures for disseminating released publications. Informs research staff members about the different types of IDA publications and recommends which type is appropriate for their work.
- Schedules and oversees production activities from initial draft stage to final publication.
- Provides training and guidance to administrative and lower level editorial staff on publication and graphic requirements, formatting concerns, and software applications.
- May participate in peer reviews or in other management-directed document reviews.
- May prepare release forms, transmittal letters, and other administrative forms and memos required for printing and distribution of publications.
- May orient and advise new staff members on applicable procedures for security markings and publication classification.
- May maintain division databases of formal and informal task deliverables and track status of task order deliverables for compliance with schedule.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in English, Journalism or a closely related discipline coupled with 6+ years progressively responsible work experience providing editorial support to a technical group or in a technical work environment.
- Experience with a variety of word processing or desktop publishing software, PDF files, web-based applications, and graphics software.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel. Candidates selected will be subject to a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information as required US Citizenship is required.