Human Resources Generalist
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking an HR Generalist to join its Office of Human Resources at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
The HR Generalist reports directly to the Senior HR Program Manager and supports multiple programs across all HR functions.
PRE/POST HIRING ACTIVITY - DOMESTIC & INTERNATIONAL STAFFING:
- Develop and maintain a pre-employment toolkit including offer letter and new hire communication templates, employment forms, internal routing documents, and new hire checklists.
- Manage a streamlined and efficient process for all domestic and international hiring activity ensuring the facilitation of all pre-onboarding touchpoints including: developing position and employment specific offer letters; initiating internal new hire notifications; conducting new hire outreach and engagement; creating all new hire files, including electronic and hard files; and managing new hire paperwork collection checklists.
- Initiate positon–specific background checks, review and analyze results and facilitate adjudication process as needed.
- Collect, review and input all benefit enrollment paperwork and create files.
EMPLOYEE LIFE CYCLE:
- Process all employee-related changes including position changes, salary adjustments, supervisor changes, transfers and separations. Includes HRIS data entry, preparing accurate personnel action forms for payroll and generating letters to employees.
- Perform all data entry of benefits and compensation information and ensure HRIS is up to date and accurate; support system audits and updates; and develop specialized reports as needed.
- Archive PAFs after each payroll cycle and file all employee related paperwork ensuring employee personnel files both hard files and electronic files are maintained.
- Maintain vendor systems to ensure information remains current.
- Complete and maintain records of all employment verifications.
- Distribute Fit for Travel and Confidential Personnel Record forms to new and existing employees as necessary and ensure collection and maintenance of all forms.
- Review and process R&R and Home Leave requests by verifying compliance with policy and individual allowances; and follow-up as necessary to receive approvals.
- Monitor and respond to HR request mailbox and respond to inquiries and requests in a timely manner.
- Assist with event planning and logistics for all departmental meetings as well as employee events including ice cream socials and lunches; annual picnic; annual kids’ day; and other events as assigned.
- Order floral arrangements for employee special events.
GENERAL HR SUPPORT:
- Assist CHRO with calendar management, meeting logistics and presentations when needed.
- Provide back-up support to other team members as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of Human Resources.
- Demonstrated customer service and business acumen.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to independently prioritize workload and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Self-motivated and able to follow through to end of assignments while meeting goals and deadlines.
- Superior oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to develop and generate spreadsheets and reports.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred.
- Able to maintain high degree of confidentiality.
- Must be accurate, thorough, and have strong attention to details.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communications, Business or relevant discipline.
- Minimum one year of HR administrative support experience required.
- Experience with ADP and SharePoint preferred.
- Experience working with an international development NGO preferred.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.