Logistics Management Specialist
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
These positions are being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for the Department of Defense for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates. The Secretary of the Air Force has delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint qualified post-secondary students and recent graduates directly into competitive service positions; these positions may be professional or administrative occupations and are located Air Force-Wide. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. Under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application.
*** The term "Current post-secondary student" mean a person who is currently enrolled in, and in good academic standing at a full-time program at an institution of higher education; and is make satisfactory progress toward receipt of a baccalaureate or graduate degree; and has completed at least one year of the program.
Post-secondary students may be noncompetitively converted to a career or career-conditional appointment within 120 days of successful completion of their academic program requirements.
*** The term "recent graduate" means a person who was awarded a degree by an institution of higher education not more than two years before the date of the appointment of such person, except that in the case of a person who has completed a period of obligated service in a uniform service of more than four years.
This Public Notice is to gather applications which may or may not result in a referral or selection.
This Public Notice may be used to fill positions in other equivalent pay systems (i.e., NH, NJ, NK).
Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
GS-05: Three years of general experience performing work at GS-4 level or equivalent pay systems. Examples are: Ability to gather and analyze basic facts and draw conclusions and participate in special studies and projects.
GS-07: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level or equivalent pay systems. Examples: Analyze, develop and evaluate issues and develop recommendations to resolve issues of efficiency of work operations.
GS-09: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level or equivalent pay systems. Examples: Planning and carrying out projects to improve the efficiency and productivity of organizations and employees in administrative support activities or for established logistics management and program analysis operations and programs; or planning, coordinating, training, and evaluating units and resolving substantive issues pertaining to mobility and logistics.
GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level or equivalent pay systems. Examples: Gathering information, identifying and analyzing issues, and developing recommendations to resolve substantive problems of effectiveness and efficiency of work operations in a program or program support setting; or planning, scheduling, coordinating, executing, evaluating and documenting readiness exercises/inspections, in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of organizations in carrying out wartime and peacetime contingency operations.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of program planning, funding, and management information systems.
2. Knowledge of the organization and functions of activities involved in providing logistical support.
3. Ability to coordinate and evaluate the efforts of functional specialists to identify specific requirements and to develop and adjust plans and schedules for the actions needed to meet each requirement on time.
4. Knowledge of some or all of the logistics support activities involved.
5. Ability to integrate the separate functions in planning or implementing a logistics management program.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Position may require an appropriate security clearance
- Direct, develop or perform logistics management operations that involve planning, coordinating, or evaluating the logistical actions required to support a specified mission, weapons system, or other designated program.
- Perform periodic independent systems evaluations and develop recommendations for system improvements based on a thorough and comprehensive study and analysis. Schedule and monitor and funding milestones for adequacy and timeliness.
- Monitor organizational and contractor compliance with milestone and system performance criteria. Collaborate and plan with other managers and appropriate personnel to coordinate and/or integrate operations and interests of other organizations.
- Responsible for planning, managing and coordinating the total cradle-to-grave life cycle logistics support for assigned systems or subsystems, integrating separate functions of supply, maintenance, procurement and quality assurance into logistics activities required to sustain system fielding.
- Gather facts and develop conclusions relative to any matter having a significant impact on solutions to problems requiring command attention because of their criticality of involvement with high-level policy. Exercise technical leadership to obtain agreement on required actions, schedules and the resolution of conflicting points of view concerning program or policy matters.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-05 Target GS-11). There is promotion potential above the GS-11 or equivalent.