Recreation Specialist - Sports
The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. The City offers an excellent benefits package. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park Recreation Department is seeking a passionate Recreation Programs Coordinator for sports to promote health and fitness in the community. The incumbent will assist in coordinating the operation of department sports programs and various sports clinics for youth and adults. If you are eager to provide a fun and safe environment for residents to engage in sporting events; this is the position for you! The Recreation Specialist for Sports will report directly to the Department’s Recreation Manager II. This position is 20 hours a week and is subject to membership in the AFSCME union. Hiring hourly pay rate is $21.18 to $22.54. First review of applications will be Monday, August 14.
- Promote physical fitness to City residents of all ages.
- Assist with the planning, scheduling and coordination of a variety of athletic programs.
- Assist with ordering of trophies, league uniforms, gym rentals, etc.
- Monitor and assess the safety conditions of the facilities used for sports programs. Report any problems or concerns to the Recreation Manager II.
- Assist Recreation Manager II with the recruitment and training of volunteers to serve as coaches, and part-time staff as timekeepers, and facility monitors.
- Assist the Recreation Manager II with supervision and evaluations for part-time staff.
- Explain rules, activity registrations, and operations.
- Accept registrations for programs via the ActiveNet electronic registration system.
- Manage game-day issues with relevant staff, participants and/or sites.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of sports programming and management experience.
- Skill in planning and problem solving.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Ability to promote, model and encourage good sportsmanship.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to carry 25 lbs.
- One to two years of progressively responsible experience or any combination of education, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To officially apply please complete an online application at:
Only online applications will be considered.