Medical Officer (Physician)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications; Basic Life Support (BLS), Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Life Support (PLS) certification are as well required
- Position may require an appropriate security clearance
- Must have and maintain a permanent, full unrestricted License to practice medicine
In addition to meeting the Individual Occupational Requirements listed in the above link, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
Specialized Experience for GP-13: Specialized Experience includes professional medical knowledge in the examination and valuation of claims cases representing the full range of types of claims and of types of medical and other problems. Develop cases, worksheets, analytical discussions and make decisions in terms of issues and facts involved, and make logical application of regulations, precedents, and other instructions. Making decisions, a medical officer at this level resolves the medical and legal questions at issue, and either signs the decisions, issues instructions concerning further development, or writes a dissenting opinion.
Specialized Experience for GP-14: Specialized Experience includes a very high degree of medical knowledge in order to render sound professional judgments on cases of the complexity dealt with. The positions involve responsibility for examining cases referred from field Rating Boards, either: (1) for advice on exceptionally complex medical issues; (2) because the case involves a potential reversal of a previous decision of another Rating Board concerning service-connection of the disability; or (3) because the Rating Board believes the case warrants a departure from established benefit schedules.
Specialized Experience for GP-15: Specialized Experience includes incumbents to have authoritative knowledge of their specialty area of medicine, general practice or other specialization, and of the disability evaluation program of the agency. They are recognized for, and exercise a high degree of professional leadership in their specialty area (characterized by a penetrating understanding of medicine in other specialties). Physician member of the board is responsible, of his authoritative and intensive knowledge of a specialty area, for advising the Board as to when such theories have been accepted as medical facts and when such theories have not been so accepted. Physician member must keep abreast of the latest developments reported in medical literature and be able to apply an authoritative, critical judgment to developments reported.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of the principles of the specialization being filled (e.g. clinical, preventive medicine, including aviation medicine, occupational medicine and public health, research, teaching or training, disability evaluation, or administration) gained by experience performing diagnostic, preventive, or therapeutic services to patients in hospitals, clinics, public health programs, diagnostic centers, etc.
2. Knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, standards and instructions that govern medical practices.
3. Skill in diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of patients.
4. Ability to instruct, guide and advice providers, support staff and/or patients on medical issues.
5. Skill in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of a wide variety of diseases and medical conditions to include but not limited to: diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, asthma, arthritis, cancer, extremity injuries, and psychiatric/psychological disorders.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number. Read more Security clearance Secret