Reporting to the Project Controller and working with the VP, Asset Manager of the Wharf, the Accounting Manager manages third party accounting; as well as internal accounting, accounts payable and accounts receivable functions. This position prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting packages for a consolidated group of entities under a joint venture and manages the annual budget process while driving systems and process improvements.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure for all joint venture business units
- Supervise five third-party management companies to ensure accounting, reporting, budgeting, and cash management is accurate, timely and compliant as dictated by property management agreements
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end closings with proper documentation and reporting
- Submit timely reports to investors and lenders
- Ensure REIT compliance through quarterly testing, annual questionnaires and year-end checklists
- Supervise one accounting professional and provide individual goals, performance reviews, training and leadership in accomplishment of departmental goals and objectives
- Support Asset Manager with annual budget process
- Assist with annual audit requirements and auditor information requests; including writing disclosures
- Assist with year-end tax compliance and all legal and corporate filings for entities within the JV structure
- Ensure compliance with established processes and controls; while assisting with implementation of new processes and controls where necessary
- Assist with weekly cash management reporting and cash flow projections
- Responsible for management of the Accounts Payable and Receivable process ensuring timely payment of invoices and accurate monitoring of outstanding receivables
- Respond to inquiries regarding special financial reporting requests
- Other related duties as assigned
- The above listing represents the general duties considered essential functions of the job and is not to be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Interacts closely with property accounting team members, property management group, portfolio accounting team members, finance and operational executives as well as parent company finance teams.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective leadership abilities
- Proactive problem solver with ability to work independently to achieve results
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to identify opportunities for process and system improvements and implement solutions
- Understanding of automated accounting systems (Experience with MRI is highly preferred
- Bachelor's Degree (B.A./B.S.) from a four year college or university
- 5-7 years experience in accounting and financial reporting (Public accounting experience is highly preferred)
- Real Estate accounting background highly preferred
- GAAP disclosure writing experience highly preferred
- Experience leading a team of accounting professionals
- CPA preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting: 80%
- Standing: 10%
- Walking: 10%
- Lifting: up to 25 lbs.