Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Provide legal support and counsel on contract matters, supporting negotiation and drafting of contracts with US Government and foreign government customers, commercial customers, suppliers, and business partners. Advise on compliance matters and provide corporate leadership and advice on corporate governance issues. Position reports to the Director, Contract Management & Procurement.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Provide legal counsel, leadership and guidance in diverse fields including; government and commercial contracts, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), intellectual property rights, personnel management and counseling, labor law, substantive negotiations, dispute resolution, transaction management, government relations and commercial expertise.
- Advise on public communications for the company's products and services and provide counsel on claim support, copyright, trademarks and advertising, press releases, FOIA requests and RFI submissions
- Provide expertise in reviewing, drafting and negotiating customer and vendor contracts; provide support in corporate governance and compliance matters, including issues relating to data privacy.
- Negotiate, draft and review a variety of government and commercial contracts such as vendor, lease, hardware and software, outsource, licensing, employment, benefits, financial, government, procurement and others as needed.
- Assist the Director, CM&P and outside attorneys with an array of departmental administrative matters, budgetary and compliance activities, internal investigations, protests, and other legal matters as they arise.
- Serve as the corporate governance liaison to the Director, Contract Management & Procurement.
- Provide advice on a variety of domestic and international regulatory, policy and advocacy issues
- Reports to the Director, Contract Management & Procurement, but will also closely interact with all departments within the organization, parent company, as well as liaison with outside legal counsel and lobbyists.
- Develop and disseminate corporate policies and supporting forms and/or acknowledgements.
- Responsible for risk management and insurance related matters.
- Promptly conduct confidential investigations of complaints and allegations of misconduct. Prepare written investigative reports as necessary
- Management of intellectual property issues
- Management of privacy/data protection issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor's Degree and J.D. degree from accredited institution is required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Government security clearance at the TS/SCI level.
- License to practice in Virginia and DC preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 7 years' experience in many or all of the following diverse fields: government and commercial contracts, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), intellectual property rights, personnel management and counseling, labor law, substantive negotiations, dispute resolution, transaction management, and government relations.
- Must have experience in working on contract law matters with an in-house legal department; law firm experience preferred.
- Must have experience with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and Government contracts, as well as privacy/data protection.
- Must possess legal experience that demonstrates a commitment to working as a generalist on a wide variety of legal matters.
- Must possess the motivation and temperament to thrive in a very small legal department and engender a team environment, including the ability to be flexible to rapidly changing needs.
- Familiarity with satellite industry technical trends and regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong negotiation abilities.
- Excellent organizational abilities, with a high attention-to-detail and follow-up skills.
- Ability to manage outside counsel, including supervision of work and control of legal budget.
- Remains calm and focused in pressure situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary for effective development and maintenance of internal and external client relationships.
- Must possess good leadership skills.
- Must be able to adjust quickly to a change in environment and priorities.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.