Communications and Outreach Specialist
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Communications and Outreach Specialist is an outgoing, proactive and enthusiastic individual who is responsible for communicating transportation information to the UMD campus community through written content, outreach events and managing departmental social media accounts. This ideal candidate will be able to quickly become an expert in all of DOTS various services and policies.
This position manages email distribution lists, writes informational emails and generates aesthetically pleasing emails through an email marketing software. This position works with individuals within the department and other campus departments to provided updated and accurate written transportation information for publications, websites and presentations. This position manages the department’s text alert system and an announcement calendar.
This position manages all departmental social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including: develop relevant content topics to reach UMD community; monitor, listen and respond to users with departmental voice; develop and expand community outreach efforts; analyze key metrics, adjust strategy as needed and compile reports for showing results.
This position supports the marketing efforts of the department by staffing university and departmental events. This position knows the ins and outs of all departmental operations, policies and procedures and is able to communicate them clearly.
This position makes presentations to student and employee groups that are engaging and informative. This position is entrusted with advancing the mission of DOTS through the cultivation and maintenance of strong campus and community relationships.
• Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of relevant work experience.
• Expert knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation to compose, proofread, and edit correspondence, reports and other written materials.
• Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to deliver engaging presentations to large and small audiences at all levels of an organization.
• Thorough understanding of and insight into the social media landscape including social media tools and trends, social media monitoring, and analysis.
• Outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
• Expert level proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel.
• Experience working with the collegiate demographic is preferred.
• Experience in web design and content production.
• Experience in using Adobe design software.
• Ability to create and edit videos.
Will work primarily in an office setting.
Attend fairs and other outreach/data collection out of doors.
Required to work weekends a couple times during the year
Able to lift 20 lbs
Compensation: Mid to Upper 40’s depending on relevant skills and experience.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 22 Days Annual Leave; 15 Days Sick Leave; 3 Days Personal Leave; 15 Paid Holidays. TUITION REMISSION IS ALSO AVAILABLE.
The deadline to apply is Friday, August 25, 2017. To apply, please upload a cover letter of application, resume and names and phone numbers of three professional references.