Scientist IV Microbiology
6 days left
- Full Time
The Principle Investigator will conduct research on specified bacterial threats; in support of the biodefense and infectious disease program. The Principle investigator will work in BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratories and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status; IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations. Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Present 2 research findings/presentations at lab meetings and attend 2 scientific meetings or symposia per year
- Complete 4 quarterly reports and 1 annual progress report for DTRA
- Prepare one 1st author manuscript for publication per year
- Prepare supporting author scientific papers for publication.
- Conduct transcriptome analyses to better understand bacterial pathogenesis and design vaccines and therapeutics.
- Create 6 non-BSAT strains for the production of Bacillus anthracis capsule
- Add capsule operon and other control elements in Bacillus anthracis Live Attenuated Vaccine strains
- PCR reactions for genetic confirmation of strains.
- Create genetic knockouts in Francisella tularensis and Bacillus anthracis for vaccine studies
- Make and characterize mutant bacterial strains
- Perform MSD protein assays
- Plan and assist with animal experiments.
- Prepare DNA/RNA from bacteria and tissues
- Prepare BSL2; BSL3 labs for quarterly and annual Safety; Bio-surety and CDC inspections
- Run ELISA tests to support anthrax vaccine studies. Run ELISAs and other tests [gel electrophoreses] to quantitate and analyze B. anthracis capsule to support anthrax vaccine studies
- Write; plan and execute animal protocols to evaluate experimental anthrax vaccines.
- Prepare spores for animal challenges for analysis of animal immune response to vaccine.
- Complete approximately bacterial opsonization assays to evaluate experimental anthrax vaccines.
- Conduct Equipment Inventory Management twice a year in BSL-2 and BSL-3
- 8-10 years of related experience in scientific research; analysis and/or engineering. Preferred- 10-15 years of related experience in a research laboratory setting.
- Experience managing a research laboratory including technicians and other junior scientists is desired.
- SSBI required if work will be conducted in biocontainment laboratories
- Demonstrated their subject matter expertise in a number of areas; and the ability to conduct team-based research through publication of several technical reports and/or peer-reviewed publications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be eligible for enrollment in the Army Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP)