Laboratory Technician IV- Bacteriology
6 days left
- Full Time
Job Description: The Laboratory Technician provides laboratory support with laboratory experiments in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status; IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations. The Laboratory Technician shall aid in the execution of scientific studies and plaque assays; PCR and other assays; animal procedures; collection/data analyzing; and maintain laboratory and laboratory equipment. Specific Tasks:
- BSL-3 laboratory operations and training in animal manipulations.
- Perform in vitro Minimum Inhibition Concentration (MIC) testing of potential therapeutic compounds against Tier 1 bacteria to include Bacillis anthracis (anthrax); Yersinia pestis (plague); Fransicella tularensis (tularemia); Burkholderia mallei (glanders); and Burkholderia pseudomallei (meliodosis)
- Participate in mouse studies; which include preparation of antibiotics for administration; administering drugs and vaccines; orally and by intraparitoneal; intramuscular; subcutaneous; and intravenous bolus injections. In addition; collect animal body fluids and remove tissues with all mouse studies executed. Upon execution of experiment all contractors perform animal health exams to ensure study remains in compliance with IACUC approved protocols.
- Participate in weekly lab meetings and assist in development and design with current and future in vitro and in vivo work. Present posters at 2 scientific conferences which may require work to be performed outside normal business hours.
- Process bacterial spore harvests and purifications and complete spore characterization assays
- Complete spore germination assays; spore secondary decontamination assays; and spore removal assays
- Perform animal challenges and bacterial challenge preparations
- Complete bacterial burdens in organ tissue
- Perform Luminex Cytokine Analyses
- Perform Macrophage phagocytosis assays
- Conduct ELISAs
- Perform Animal Necropsies
- Process animal gavage and animal blood collections
- Complete DNA chromosomal preparations; PCR reactions; and Agar gel analysis
- Conduct molecular cloning experiments and run sequencing reactions
- Perform BSL-3 live/dead assays
- Run protein gels and western blots
- Assist with ordering of supplies and equipment
- Maintain laboratories in BSL-2 and BSL-3
- Perform BSAT Inventory Management weekly.
- Conduct Equipment Inventory Management twice a year in BSL-2 and BSL-3
- Perform monthly Laboratory Management to include safety functions and chemical inventory.