Laboratory Technician IV-Therapeutics/Bacteriology
The Laboratory Technician povides laboratory support with laboratory experiments in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status; IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations. The contractor shall aid in the execution of scientific studies and plaque assays; PCR and other assays; animal procedures; collection/data analyzing; and maintain laboratory and laboratory equipment Specific Tasks:
- Responsible for BSL-3 laboratory operations and training in animal manipulations
- Assist in establishing new active material transfer agreements and cooperative research and development agreements with pharmaceutical companies/ universities. Perform in vitro Minimum Inhibition Concentration (MIC) tests of potential therapeutic compounds against Tier 1 bacteria to include Bacillis anthracis (anthrax); Yersinia pestis (plague); Fransicella tularensis (tularemia); Burkholderia mallei (glanders); and Burkholderia pseudomallei (meliodosis).
- Participate in BSL-2 PK mouse studies; to include preparation of antibiotics for administration; administering drugs and vaccines; orally and by intraparitoneal injections. Upon execution of the experiment; contractor will perform animal health exams to ensure study was in compliance with IACUC approved protocols.
- Participate in weekly lab meetings and assist in development and design with current and future in vitro and in vivo work.
- Assist with data collection and analysis for posters to be presented at scientific conferences which may require work to be performed outside normal business hours.
- Serve as assistant suite supervisor; weekly
- Assist Principal Investigator with Project Planning; quarterly
- Participate in training new personnel on laboratory tasks; monthly.
- Perform BSAT Inventory Management weekly
- Conduct Equipment Inventory Management twice a year in BSL-2 and BSL-
- Perform monthly Laboratory Management to include safety functions and chemical inventory.
- 2-5 years of related experience in scientific research, analysis and/or engineering.
- Preferred- 5+ years of related experience in a research laboratory setting. Experience with a variety of the field's concepts; practices; and procedures
- Must be eligible for enrollment in the Army Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP)