Research Associate for Biobanking, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Med
Research Associate for Biobanking, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) clinicians are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients. Lombardi's internationally-renowned physicians treat virtually every type of cancer, including breast, lung, colorectal, prostate, head and neck, and cancers of the blood. Along with cutting-edge cancer care, we offer a program of innovative clinical trials and a full range of supportive care services to improve our patients' health and quality of life.
The Research Associate is an active member of the team of tissue biobanking procurement specialists, responsible for the human specimen collection for the “High-Quality Tumor Biobank and Clinical Database” located at Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. The sites for tissue collections include Georgetown University Hospital, Washington Hospital Center, or other MedStar Health Network Hospitals. S/he performs routine collection of a comprehensive set of biological specimens (for example, tissue, blood, urine) and completes clinical data from patients undergoing various organ resection procedures (for example, surgery, biopsy) at the sites of tissue collection listed above. Reporting to the Biobanking Manager, the Research Associate has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Attends tissue collection procedures and areas (for example, surgery, biopsy, surgical pathology).
- Observes and documents surgical and anesthesiological data points.
- Obtains blood and urine samples from anesthesiology team and distributes in specialized tubes.
- Receives resected tumor/tissue from surgeon/care provider.
- Transports tissue to surgical pathology and obtains an extra piece of tissue by means of close cooperation with surgical pathology assistant.
- Processes obtained extra tissue further to prepare tissue blocks from tumor and normal areas of the resected specimen according to standard operation procedure compliance.
- Transports blood, urine, and tissue to the central laboratory for processing and storage.
- Conducts bedside patient interview to complete data acquisition questionnaire for clinical annotation.
- Registers tissue samples, associated data and in the database.
- Screens patients to identify eligible patients and obtains consent for tissue and data donation from qualified pool of patient population.
- Reviews medical charts and patient records for primary and follow-up/outcome data collection and documentation
- Engages in freezer temperature monitoring and required maintenance activities.
- Supports various prospective tissue collections, tissue shipments, and tissue/data release requests.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in a clinical and/or research setting, experience in contact with patients and physicians, experience in oncology, clinical research and/or surgery
- Ability to review patient medical chart and analyze the information to be entered in the patient interview form
- Confidence in interviewing patients for the collection of clinical data
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.