Senior Editorial Assistant - NAP Editorial
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academy of Sciences to publish the reports of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and medicine, providing authoritative information on important matters in science and health policy. The institutions served by the NAP are unique in their ability to attract leading experts in many fields to join panels and committees charged with providing policy advice on some of the nation’s most pressing scientific, technical, and health-related issues.
Responsible for intricate and sometimes complex proofreading tasks. Coordinates with authors, editors, and artwork designers to meet schedule deadlines. Inputs edits in a variety of scientific/technical publications or other documents or materials.
In this support role, the majority of time is spent assisting department staff with activities and tasks related to producing published material. Under minimal supervision, performs complex clerical and administrative tasks requiring the consideration of multiple variables to determine proper course of action. While some tasks are complex, most decision-making can be made within pre-determined guidelines. Normally works independently on mastered tasks. May lead and provide work guidance to lower level editorial support employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Reviews manuscripts and other documents/materials for accuracy, completeness, adherence to author instructions, appropriateness of artwork and proper layout. Coordinates and performs editorial manuscript review.
2. Serves as point of contact for offsite freelance editors and proofreaders. Prepares and coordinates shipments and deadlines. Handles routine correspondence.
3. Assists staff and freelance editors in solving problems with electronic manuscript files.
4. Corresponds with staff and/or authors. Reminds editors and reviewers of deadlines. Collects author revisions. Notifies author of manuscript acceptance or rejection. Processes editorial changes and resubmissions.
5. Performs a variety of clerical and administrative tasks such as composing correspondence, answering the telephone, and processing invoices. Generates status reports.
6. May lead and provide work guidance to lower level editorial support employees. May coordinate work of Editorial Assistants. May assist in training of junior staff members.
7. May copyedit non-technical materials for various media such as magazines, circulars, electronic newsletters, and conference program brochures.
8. May acquire photographs and other illustration through stock agencies and other sources for news and feature articles.
9. May invite National Academies’ members and non-members to act as editors for manuscripts. May assist editors by recruiting and securing reviewers.
10. May serve as back-up to manager and lead the teams. May prepare meeting minutes for periodical team meetings. May handle and lead special projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Ability to solve intellectual problems of some variety and complexity using originality and ingenuity. Ability to exercise some latitude for independent judgment and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.