Collections / Accounting Specialist
Help keep The Washington Post on rock-solid financial standing and put your organizational skills to the test as a Collections Specialist. In this key role, you'll help manage the bills and accounts from the many clients around the world we deal with on a daily basis. To succeed, you'll need to draw on all your strengths at reconciling accounts, answering time-sensitive billing questions, processing electronic payments, keeping an eye on the balance of accounts and more—all while maintaining the strict confidentiality our clients expect and strengthening the financial relationship between our organization and the many outward-facing clients who do business with us.
- Meet the company's goals of strong financial performance and excellent customer service, according to annually set objectives and measurements
- Conduct payment reconciliation on accounts as needed
- Maintain confidentiality of company and customer information.
- Answer billing questions from internal (sales) and external customers as needed
- Process electronic check and credit card payments
- Identify discrepancies and work with Sales and Service teams to complete the necessary analysis and paperwork to resolve
- Monitor and implement collection of delinquent advertising accounts using the elevation process as needed.
- Identify and submit allocation of payments to the AR team to ensure accuracy of billing.
- Handle incoming calls on a phone gate and assist customers in a professional manner
- Prepare accounts for referral of accounts to outside collection agencies as needed
- Initiate and submit documentation for refunds on accounts as needed
- Achieve monthly collection goals via effective collection calls/emails
- Adherence to department policies and procedures
- Work closely with sales and customer service reps to keep accounts current.
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Requirements include:
- 2-5+ years of relevant experience (or a combination of education and work experience)
- A commitment to excellence in collections and customer service
- Ability to deal with internal/external customers in a professional manner
- Excellent negotiating skills with a sensitivity to public relations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly about follow-up on unresolved issues
- Knowledge of media industry sales, credit and customer service policies preferred
- Ability to handle multiple demands calmly and effectively, while maintaining attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to work in a team setting and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of accounting principles to perform customer account reconciliations and to provide billing explanations to customers
- Strong Excel and Microsoft 365 Office skills
- SAP experience (preferred)
- Bachelor's degree (preferred)