Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International is seeking a Web Coordinator to support the ongoing maintenance of CI’s global website. This is a great opportunity for someone with basic digital and CMS experience to learn and start a career in web content strategy and digital marketing.
Under the direction of the Director of Web Strategy, the Web Coordinator will provide day-to-day maintenance of Conservation.org and affiliated sites. This position primarily focuses on the production of web pages, products and content within an agile development system. This position works closely with the web team, the IT Support and Development teams and a variety of internal clients, including international staff.
The Web Coordinator will organize and implement a daily flow of change requests in coordination with the rest of the Web team. S/he is expected to learn the ins and outs of the content management system (CMS), gather and publish web content, provide suggestions for improvement of web functionality and follow those suggestions through the agile development process. S/he may also meet with internal customers to discuss and gather their website needs and to independently manage specific areas of the website.
This position will also play an important role in the migration of existing content both on conservation.org, blog.conservation.org and our international field sites to a new CMS platform, as well as providing training and support on the platform to colleagues.
CI is looking for a candidate with basic experience using a CMS to manage web content, as well as a strong desire to further their expertise and experience in web content publication, training, content strategy research, agile development processes, HTML/CSS, and project management. The successful candidate will be detail and process oriented, have strong interpersonal and customer relations skills, and will be a problem solver with a “get-it-done” attitude.
- Daily Web Production: Build pages in a content management system (CMS), currently Microsoft SharePoint 2013, using a modular system following predefined designs. Perform quality control checks on all new/revised content and coordinate with internal staff to ensure deadlines are met. Ensure links are functional and accurate, read for spelling and grammar, ensure headers are properly marked up and web styles and naming conventions are respected for page titles, headers, link text and calls-to-action. Ensure that photos are properly captioned and credited and that pages are appropriately cross-linked. Work with IT Support to trouble-shoot problems and drive to resolution. In consultation with the Director Web Strategy, develop and nurture good client relationships with content owners, subject matter experts and other stakeholders while providing guidance about established web processes and best practices.
- Content Migration: Work with web team to carefully execute the migration of content (both conservation.org, blog and family of international subsites) to a new CMS platform, with an eye to ensuring accuracy of content. Develop expertise in the new CMS. Support the building and migration of subsites, working with local or international website owners as directed by the Director of Web Strategy.
- Web Analytics: Maintain existing analytics dashboards on Google Analytics, modifying as needed. Provide internal staff the analytics data they need to make strategic decisions on content strategy. Run periodic deeper reports on web analytics (using Google Analytics and Crazy Egg) as needed. Maintain and test Google Analytics events for existing or new initiatives or tests. Perform keyword research to identify marketing opportunities for new content, as needed. Monitor A/B tests (including VWO and Google Tag Manager) as needed.
- Training and Support: Develop expertise in new CMS and provide training for other users, when required. Serve as a timely and trusted resource to colleagues while simultaneously performing quality control checks and enforcing web standards. Help maintain a central online resource for training and support of other CMS users.
- Major Initiatives and Campaigns: Support all major marketing initiatives and campaigns, such as calendar year-end fundraising, virtual reality films, and the “Nature Is Speaking” film series, including current and upcoming international rollouts. Work with web and greater communications teams to ensure needs for landing pages and/or microsites are met. Incorporate other types of content as needed, such as video, images, quizzes, infographics, audio, text, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Typical office environment. This position is based at CI Headquarters in Arlington, VA.
- 2-4 years relevant experience.
- Good organizational skills with a problem solving, “get-it-done” attitude.
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships with a diverse group of clients.
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills.
- Excellent and timely written and verbal communication skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- Solid grammar, spelling and editing skills.
- Basic web writing skills: should be capable of fixing a sentence, write a header, a one-paragraph abstract for a document or a teaser paragraph for a story. Opportunities for longer form web copy, as needed.
- Familiarity with web best practices and standards.
- Working knowledge of web content management systems (CMS).
- Ability to keep track of multiple tasks and details.
- Motivated, dedicated and reliable with commitment to achieving completion of tasks within deadlines.
- Familiarity with HTML, or willingness to learn.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar web analytics tool.
- A four-year degree in English, communications, liberal arts, natural sciences or related field.
- Familiarity with SharePoint and WordPress.
- Familiarity with web design and web development workflows.
- Familiarity with information architecture (IA) concepts.
- Basic photo processing skills: crop, re-size, compress.
- Interest in environmental issues.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter and references.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "accommodation" in the subject line.