Research Veterinary Animal Imaging Tech
General Dynamics IT is currently looking for a dedicated Veterinary Animal Imaging Technician (Research Associate II) skilled in animal ultrasound/sonography techniques to support the following research project at the Naval Medical Research Unit in San Antonio,Texas.
Project Name: Extending the "Golden Hour": Prolonged Pre-Hospital Animal Survival and Stabilization of Hemorrhagic Shock that Permits Delayed Whole Blood Resuscitation and Subsequent Survival in Swine (Sus scrofa domesticus)
Project Description: This project will evaluate a novel resuscitation fluid adjunct for improvements in survival, metabolic, coagulation, inflammatory, and organ injury outcomes in a large animal model of hemorrhagic shock and prolonged field care hypotensive resuscitation with subsequent simulated hospital care including whole blood transfusion. The study entails simple surgical procedures, extensive monitoring, blood sample and tissue specimen collection for analyses utilizing a variety of molecular techniques and analyzers, and data acquisition, organization, and presentation.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the PI, optimize and execute laboratory assays for studies evaluating a novel therapeutic in the field of hemorrhagic shock and prolonged hypotensive resuscitation; Acquire, organize, and analyze data from experiments involving in vitro and in vivo models; Assist in preparation of protocols, technical reports, manuscripts, and presentations; Present data summaries at project meetings; Perform general laboratory support tasks such as: maintaining clear and accurate laboratory records and inventories, routine biosafety procedures to maintain compliance with established laboratory safety rules and regulations, preparing SOPs and purchase orders and contracts, and maintaining supply inventory.
- BS/MS in physiology, animal science, biology, biomedical engineering, molecular biology, or a related discipline. MS is strongly preferred.
- Must be a US Citizen
- MS with 2+ years of laboratory experience or BS with 4+ years of laboratory experience.
- Performs diagnostic procedures utilizing a background in anatomy, physiology, or instrumentation to provide technical information to aid the researcher.
- Demonstrate and maintain technical skills needed to perform ultrasound procedures on the large animal models and may include abdominal, cardiac, Doppler use.
- Knowledge of human and animal anatomy and physiology
- Experience with in vivo animal models and comfortable handling both large and small animals (ex. rodents, swine)
- Experience with and/or ability to quickly learn operation of various analyzers, instruments, and data acquisition modalities (e.g. blood/plasma sample analyzers, ultrasound imaging devices, etc.)
- Basic molecular biology techniques (e.g. protein/RNA/DNA isolation/extraction, ELISA, SDS and agarose gel electrophoresis, Western blotting, and real-time RT-PCR)
- Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
- Ability to perform basic statistics and mathematical calculations
- Experience in using MSWord, MSPowerPoint, MSExcel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot
- Excellent interpersonal / communication skills and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting with a team of scientists
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule which may occasionally include evening or weekend shifts
- Employee must be able to lift/move up to 20 pounds
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.