Office of Legal Affairs
Exempt, Contingent II, Full-Time, Grade 3.1
University of Maryland University College, Office of Legal Affairs, is seeking a recent law school graduate for the position of Attorney Fellow. This is a one-year contract position.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Research and summarize state law requirements, primarily related to state authorization and professional licensure, across the United States.
- Review state and federal regulations.
- Communicate with and draft correspondence to higher education agencies, boards of licensure and other regulatory bodies and track responses.
- Draft required programmatic disclosures to prospective and current students.
- Attend compliance workgroup meetings and communicate with university constituents, as needed.
- Assist in monitoring and tracking compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with planning, organizing and conducting periodic compliance reviews in collaboration with constituent divisions, departments and units.
- Assist with identifying compliance risks and develop procedures aimed at detecting and remedying compliance problems and risks.
- Assist with the communication of key policies and other relevant aspects of compliance to staff, faculty and students.
- Assist with performing continuous monitoring of compliance and overseas contract issues and assist with university training in these areas.
- Assist with ensuring adequate records are maintained to document compliance efforts.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: (1) a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school, with a record of strong academic achievement; (2) demonstrated research and writing ability; (3) an interest in learning about and supporting the legal mission of a major academic institution; and (4) the ability to work effectively and cooperatively with attorneys and other university constituents while working on multiple projects concurrently; (5) the ability to communicate detailed and complex information to others; (6) aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures; (7) strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others; and (8) demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and effectively build working relationships. Bar admission is preferred.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Law Review or Journal membership; project management experience; experience with compliance and/or policy tracking technology; Knowledge of higher education law, state authorization, and/or compliance and experience in communicating with regulators a plus.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.